Which oil for my Honda Accord V6

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR

I bought some Mobile 1 0W-20 for my Accord but after reading some of the UOA's for it, I am a little hesitant to use it. I don't know if maybe M1 5W-30 or GC 0W-30 would be better, but I didn't know if a 30 weight would be too heavy. It doesn't get driven very often, about 20-25 miles a day half city and half highway but it is a six speed so occasionally I get on it a little hard, don't know if that helps any.

Does your Accord call for a twenty-weight? If so, I take it that it is pretty new?

We've seen great analysis results on Hondas with everything from 0w-20 to 15w-50, so take your pick if you don't have a warranty to abide by...

It is new and the owners manual says to use 5W-20. I don't want to void the warranty but I wanted to use mobile 1 or GC. If I use 0W-20 or a 30 weight will it void the warranty you think? I read some posts a while back regarding the magnuson moss act, but there were some that said it applied to oil and some who said it didn't.

Use M1 0w-20...it will not void your warranty.

"Mobil 1 with SuperSyn 0W20 is engineered specifically for Ford, Honda and any other vehicle where a 0W-20 or 5W-20 engine oil is recommended. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn 0W-20 exceeds API SL/CF, ILSAC GF-3, and the performance requirements Ford WSS-M2C-153H specification."

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I just needed a little reassuring.

You're
welcome.gif

DR, try the M1 0w20 but then do a UOA. That'll tell you more than some of our "experts" here. Your driving style, environment, etc, and even just your particular engine may really do well on M1 0w20, but there's no way to know for sure until you apply some objective measuring to your particular situation.

That's a great question DR and I'm glad you asked it. I have a '04 Accord with 4 cyl and after lurking (and sometimes posting) here for quite some time; gathering up everyone's information and trying to make up my own mind as to what's right, I think I will use 3.5 qts Mobil1-0w-20
with 1 qt of M1 10-30 and OEM filter.
Anyone see anything wrong with it?

Bill

quote:

Originally posted by lukey:

, I think I will use 3.5 qts Mobil1-0w-20
with 1 qt of M1 10-30 and OEM filter.
Anyone see anything wrong with it?

Where you live in the NE sounds cold in the winter to me . I'd use a formulated oil to insure the best cold start w/o compromising protection at temp . When you mix most times cold performance will be altered even with the compatible Supersyns .

I'd try to 0w-30 SS where you live . It's the first SS I tried and threw out my best analysis vs the 10w-30 I used later on in one car I own . The 10w-30 did very well too though .

I feel the Saab 5w-30 Syn Blend which is a very low 30wt that stays in grade is a very good choice for some of these engines calling for a 20wt . Price is right too .

I feel I'm playing a broken record on the Saab 5w-30 so we will see when we get our 2005 Mustang GT . Bought 8 , 4 liter cases for a car we don't own yet
grin.gif

id go with motorcraft 5w-20. great wear numbers, and you cant beat the price for a blend. (1.42 per qt if i remember correct)

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
vi at 100c came in at 11.6 for the new oil vs quite a bit lower than the previous version I saw.

That's on the high side of a 30, isn't it?

427Z06 and others have done well in their Hondas with M1, 0W-20, 5W-30, and some are trying the German Castrol Synthetic 0W-30. Which engine do you have?

I have been doing well with Pennzoil dino 5W-20, UOA just posted. The Motorcraft dino (some call it semi-syn) 5W-20 has also shown good results. From the combined experience here among the BITOG friends, you should do fine with one of the good dinos with changes of 4 K +/-miles or less, or with the synthetics.

Over at the Honda forums, lots of owners use M1 5W-30 and I have never ever came across a post that claims engine failure. I've used it on my 02 V6 and UOA's are most excellent after 6K miles. Plus, the 5W-30 can be used year round.

[/qb][/QUOTE]

I feel I'm playing a broken record on the Saab 5w-30 so we will see when we get our 2005 Mustang GT . Bought 8 , 4 liter cases for a car we don't own yet
grin.gif
[/QB][/QUOTE]

NOW that sounds like an expecting FATHER!!! Is that love for the car or WHAT????
grin.gif
lol.gif

I use M1 0w-30 in my 99 civic. It is thicker than the 0w-20, but not thick like GC on the 30 side, so it falls in the middle of M1 0w-20 and GC 0w-30. Honda's here have shown some nice #'s with M1 0w20 however. My suggestion - m1 0w-20, 0w-30 or 5w-30 in that order.

quote:

I feel the Saab 5w-30 Syn Blend which is a very low 30wt that stays in grade is a very good choice for some of these engines calling for a 20wt . Price is right too .

Whooa
smile.gif
Thought i'd make a slight correction after the VOA arrived in the mail .

Still a great oil but obviously reformulated since it now carries 201 ppm Moly and 1180 zinc but the vi at 100c came in at 11.6 for the new oil vs quite a bit lower than the previous version I saw .

VI index 181
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

vi at 100c came in at 11.6 for the new oil vs quite a bit lower than the previous version I saw.

That's on the high side of a 30, isn't it?

Getting on up there since 12.50 starts the 40wt .

Vi is 63.1 @ 40c with that high of a VI index " 181 " leads me to believe this oil is really a high quality engine oil .

Time will tell though and I'll still run it in that new 4.6 were getting .
wink.gif

Appologize for hijacking the thread .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back