Which oil for my 93 Integra B18 w/ 114K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I just joined these forums today upon suggestion from some guys at sorry, links to other posts are not allowed I bought my used (2 previous owners) 1993 Acura Integra LS 5 speed manual in April 2003 and have yet to do an oil change. The engine is the stock B18A1 1.8 litre DOHC 16 valve engine and it has about 114,000 miles on it. Probably the next few oil changes will be done with a NAPA Silver oil filter and Mobil 10w30 Dino oil (because that is what my dad likes to use). Personally I would prefer a filter like K&N or OEM Honda but they cost more. Few questions:
1.) Is NAPA Silver a good filter if oil is changed every 3500miles max?
2.) I live in New England where the weather is so ridiculously erratic... and my car is a daily driver. I was wondering what you all think I should run... 5w30 or 10w30?
3.) There are no real leaks (no oil on the driveway... but a little grime coming out of the exhaust came seal which is typical of a B18). I was thinking I would use Castol GTX High Mileage just the same... kinda in a preventative manner. What is the opinion on Castrol GTX High Mileage? Will it be a good application in my car?

Thats it guys. Thanks in advance.

-Dustin

[ August 06, 2003, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

welcome.gif

I would run Mobil 1 5W30 and extend the drains out to 5 or 7 thousand miles. The Napa Gold filter would be fine. There are several oil analysis reports you can look at if you are interested in other oils, just check out the Used Oil Analyis Section of the forum. -Joe

We haven't seen any UOAs on GTX High Mileage yet, but I'm running this oil (in 5w30) in my mom's 1994 Probe GT and will have a UOA on it in early November. It'll have only about 2000-2500 miles on it though, my mom doesn't drive much more than about 60 miles a week.

I think Napa seems to be an O.K. filter. I like the Mobil 10W-30. Once it gets below -15 F you should be going with Mobil 5W-30. But untiol then the 10W is a better product.

welcome.gif

i have the same motor. have done a UOA. check my posts. napa gold would likely be a good filter, but you said NAPA SILVER-thoughts on that filter have not been so high on the board. consensus, see some of Terry's posts, are that these honda ohc and dohc motors like FLOW. if your father makes you get a cheap filter, Terry has had very good results with AC PF1127. $3.49 at Autozone. Auto-rx did very nicely in my motor and trans. i currently run schaeffers supreme oil. i believe that most of the high mileage oils are fairly respected, except Valvoline. do some searching, the answers are in here. good luck

joee, note that the mobil he was intending on using is the DINO not M1. I do not know if i would push 6-7K, especially without running something like a-rx first and maybe as a maintenance dose. your thoughts?

used oil analysis. gives a "picture" of how your oil performed over your change interval. shows engine wear metals, etc. keep reading.

my girlfriend has a 94 integra ls... It has 150K.
Seems to be runnign great on german castrol 0w-30, and did great on M1 5w-30. No leaks with either. She does have a bit of varnish under the valve cover, and I havent seen it cleaned at all, but thats fine, the engine runs perfectly, so Im not worried.

Id say go with one of those and youre fine... Otherwise get GTX 5w-30 or pennzoil 5w-30, as I feel they are the best dino oil choices.

Or just go with the 700 series schaeffers, as it has a nice additve package and is a synth blend.

JMH

i hope that everyone here knows that the Napa Gold and silver filters are actually Wix filters. And the Wix filters are actually cheaper. just a comment. i had a contact that once worked at NAPA and sure enough, they are the same.

I am going to go with a 5 quart jug of Castrol GTX High Mileage or Pennzoil High Mileage... Whichever is cheaper at WalMart. But will 5w30 or 10w30 run more MPG and wear less?

quote:

Originally posted by smeltjr:
joee, note that the mobil he was intending on using is the DINO not M1. I do not know if i would push 6-7K, especially without running something like a-rx first and maybe as a maintenance dose. your thoughts?

Smeltjr, good to see you again. I guess you are right, he did ask about dino. If he runs dino, I would keep it around 4000 miles.

I recenty had the valves adjusted on my Acura. My friend at the dealer said that my valvetrain was very clean, one of the cleanest he has seen. I have used Mobil 1 5W or 10W30 since I bought the car, and am very happy with it. -Joe

WalMart has the Pennzoil High Mileage 10W30 5 quart jug for $9.76 right now and the and the Castrol GTX High Mileage 10W30 is like 60 cents more or around there. So I guess I will go with the Pennzoil since I read it has moly and also that it runs cleaner (one person said that). NAPA Gold looks like it is a good filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back