Which oil for a G37 with a 5k mile or 1 year OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 12 G37x is due for an oil change soon and I'm trying to decide between Mobil1 5w-30 Vanilla (what it's had for the past 50k miles I've owned it, 83k total on the car) and Mobil 1 5w-30 EP or the 0w-40FS, or maybe even Redline's 5w-30. No engine mods and the car sees a mix of shorter rural back road drives along with a few interstate road trips, no track or autocross. It has no leaks, no consumption or makeup oil, no problems with the original catalytic converters (knock on wood) and never throws codes. Should I just keep using what I'm using or are one of the other options going to make an appreciable difference in engine protection and longevity?

Probably no appreciable difference with any of those. I personally would keep going with what has been used.

Honestly - at 5000 mile OCIs there probably won't be much difference in ultimate engine longevity with any API SN 5W-30 motor oil. If it were mine I'd probably go with Chevron Supreme since it's cheap and I know they make an excellent product.

My wife and I have put several hundred thousand miles on 2010+ Nissan products.

These engines absolutely love Magnatec. I'm running PP right now because I got the year end AAP sale and picked up 55 quarts (11 jugs) for less than 40 bucks, too good a deal to pass up. And the cars run normally on PP, its a fine oil. But I've run just about everything through multiple Nissan engines, conventional and full syn, and Magnatec had them running like turbines.

Keep using what you've been using. No need to overthink it. Nissan specs 7500 mile intervals for non-severe driving conditions and I think what you describe will fall under that. They also spec conventional oil*, not synthetic blend or full synthetic, so 5000 miles is a piece of cake for your engine.

* Not sure what year Nissan changed to recommending "esther" based oil. I emphasize, "recommend", not require.

Thanks for all the replies. Considering what one can get Mobil1 for in the US for with the rebates, I will just keep on using the 5w-30 Vanilla I have been. For the extra $3-4 dollars an OCI over a semi syn or the cheapest syn it seems like good insurance.

Originally Posted by GZRider
Pacific Northwest mostly, cold starts are rarely a concern.

Why not go with M1 10W-30 HM? It's A3/B3 with a HTHS of 3.5.

Not a bad suggestion, it's got a higher HTHS and lower VII then the 0w-40FS. I wonder what is the lowest temperate it would be safe to start the engine at using that lube?

Originally Posted by GZRider
Not a bad suggestion, it's got a higher HTHS and lower VII then the 0w-40FS. I wonder what is the lowest temperate it would be safe to start the engine at using that lube?

A 10W oil is generally rated for starting at 0F and above but people on here have reported starting at lower temperatures. I've run Mobil 1 10W-30 in my 1NZ-FE before and have occasionally had to start below 0F, but it cranks slowly.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
It's all relative I suppose. A 10W-30 at 0 deg F is probably going to start more easily than a 0W-30 at -30 deg F.

That may be true. Anyone who has ever actually started a vehicle at -30F (or below) should be ready for a lot of drama. My old BMW used to sit outdoors in northern Wisconsin and at those temperatures everything complains until it's warmed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back