Which oil for a 2010 Honda Accord v6?

121K miles on 010 Honda Accord coupe v6. Best oil to be using is: conventional? synthetic? high mileage? Miles between changes?

No right or wrong answer here. You could use almost anything. I’m guessing the owners manual will give you details on viscosity and if anything special is required.

I’d consider synthetic oil myself and probably go 7.5k or more. I use Citgo FS 5w30 in my wife’s van and go until the change oil indicator comes up on the dash. This is usually 8-9k miles.

Just my $0.02

I'm sure any SP oil would be better than what was available in 2012, almost none of it is conventional any more. I'd say 5K on a blend and 7.5K on synthetic would be fine. Regular, all mileage or high mileage...all good.

Reactions: 4WD
Welcome to BITOG 🎉

Use the cheapest synthetic on sale to the OCI suggested by the minder.

Is your Accord manual or automatic transmission? If your Accord is manual, then you are lucky enough not to have VCM. If you have an automatic, then you might want to disable VCM with a muzzler.

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

Use the cheapest synthetic on sale to the OCI suggested by the minder.

Is your Accord manual or automatic transmission? If your Accord is manual, then you are lucky enough not to have VCM. If you have an automatic, then you might want to disable VCM with a muzzler.
It's a manual so no VCM. Also got a caddie XT5 with V6 which I disabled the VCM and the auto stop/start feature.

5,000 to 6,000 miles on a high mileage synthetic is a good baseline.

Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline, Castrol Edge.. doesn't matter, pick the one you like best. I like Mobil but that's me.

Choosing the high mileage versions of any of these oils will give you a little extra dose of seal conditioners to help prevent leaks or maybe stop little ones.

I have an '07 Accord V6 6MT (4 dr sedan) with about 190,000 km. Bought new.

I follow the OLM which averages 8,000 km (5,000 miles). I use 5W-20 or 0W-20, mostly synthetic because it's well priced when it's on sale. I haven't been brand loyal but have mostly used Castrol recently. I buy about 4 jugs whenever I buy oil. Never have to add.

I change the oil filter every other change just as the manual suggests.

Has the PCV ever been changed? Besides, any synthetic 0W20 or 5W20 with a decent oil filter and that Honda engine will serve you well. Five thousand mile intervals and changing the oil filter every other time is easy to remember.

So again, how do you define what’s best? This is not an academic question because it relates directly to any answers that anyone might give in this thread.

Use whatever synthetic brand you feel the best about. After choosing "your" oil, I wouldn't switch around buying what's on sale.
Stick with the same brand as best you can. Mobil, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Amsoil, etc.

Change it every 5K with a new OEM filter. Get your OCI timed with your odometer so you easily recognize when to change it.
I'd change it now (121) and again at 125K and then every 5K. 130, 135, 140, etc. Easy Peezy....

Back