Which Oil For: 1994 F-150 with 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picking up my first ever Ford tonight. 1994 F150 4x4 with 5.0 and 208,000 miles. It is basically a one-owner and purported/appears to be well maintained. Does not burn oil, but might leak just a little (couple drops on the ground after each drive).

I'm thinking Motorcraft filter and Mobil Super HM 10w-30.
It won't be a dd, but will probably see about 6,000 miles/year. It will rarely pull, but will haul the occasional load of firewood or such.
Let me know what oil you all think for this engine.

I have the same engine and i run Valvoline Maxlife 5-30
You will be fine running any name brand oil
I hhave a small rear main leak that Maxlife has almost stopped
I would stay with a high mileage oil though
And Motorcraft filters are cheap and very good
The 302 is very reliable

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I have the same engine and i run Valvoline Maxlife 5-30
You will be fine running any name brand oil
I hhave a small rear main leak that Maxlife has almost stopped
I would stay with a high mileage oil though
And Motorcraft filters are cheap and very good
The 302 is very reliable

Good to hear. Yep, I plan to stick with HM because I've read that rear mains leaks are rather common in these. I'm not opposed to full syn HM like M1HM, as I use fully syn in my other 3 cars. The extra $10 twice/year is not a big deal, I just didn't figure it was a good idea...especially until the seals are "conditioned" with a HM oil.

Where is the best place to buy motorcraft filters? Walmart carry them? Since I've never owned a Ford, I've never even glanced at Motorcraft.

Maybe, but considering I hope to get another 10+ years out of it, and have to choose an oil at the store anyway, I care.

That's a tough engine and very tough to kill. Change the oil regularly and it should keep going for a long time. The last time I did an oil change in one I used Formula Shell 5W-30, but I forget what oil filter I used as this was probably 5 years ago now (or more). It uses the Motorcraft FL-1A and I don't believe those have started tearing yet like other Purolator filters, so that's what I would use.

Originally Posted By: lukejo
Picking up my first ever Ford tonight. 1994 F150 4x4 with 5.0 and 208,000 miles. It is basically a one-owner and purported/appears to be well maintained. Does not burn oil, but might leak just a little (couple drops on the ground after each drive).

It won't be a dd, but will probably see about 6,000 miles/year. It will rarely pull, but will haul the occasional load of firewood or such.

VML 10W30 with a Motorcraft oil filter from WM.
thumbsup2.gif

5qt. container = $16.47
MC filter = $3.97

I run whatever I can find on sale in a 5-20 or 5-30 flavor for my truck since it was back specced and a fram orange can. Works good for it. got over 307k kms and runs like a top.

Whatever 5w-30 you can find on sale (might as well try the HM to see if it helps with the leak) and a Motorcraft FL-1A. Usually if you buy a few at one the dealer will give you a good discount on them.

Also, while the RMS's are a common leak point in high mileage examples, so are the valve cover gaskets.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

thumbsup2.gif

5qt. container = $16.47
MC filter = $3.97

Only $13.47 a jug with the $6 off 2 jugs coupon from Coupons.com.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

thumbsup2.gif

5qt. container = $16.47
MC filter = $3.97

Only $13.47 a jug with the $6 off 2 jugs coupon from Coupons.com.

http://www.coupons.com/coupons/Automotive-Coupons-890/

Walmart has both
Enjoy your truck
I love mine.it is a 1987 with only 160,000 on it
To me it is more fun to drive an older truck that bounces you around a little and keeps all the blood moving
My grand kid loves it while my wife hates it
Oh well,such is life

Thanks! Just got it home and I think I got a great deal. It is sooo much better than anything else I've looked at the last few months in this year range. Clean underneath with very little rust, new KYB shocks, lots of new under the hood...plugs, wires, etc..and service records from the Ford Dealership from day one! Even has the Ford Dealership oil change sticker showing next due.
The guy just bought a new motorhome and was anxious to get this truck out of the driveway...he took my $1500 offer. '94 XLT 4x4 5.0 with nice Goodyear Wrangler tires.
I noticed the few drops of oil underneath, so I will try one of the dino HM.

Thanks! Just got it home and I think I got a great deal. It is sooo much better than anything else I've looked at the last few months in this year range. Clean underneath with very little rust, new KYB shocks, lots of new under the hood...plugs, wires, etc..and service records from the Ford Dealership from day one! Even has the Ford Dealership oil change sticker showing next due.
The guy just bought a new motorhome and was anxious to get this truck out of the driveway...he took my $1500 offer. '94 XLT 4x4 5.0 with nice Goodyear Wrangler tires.
I noticed the few drops of oil underneath, so I will try one of the dino HM.

VML is a synthetic blend oil. If this were my truck that is what I would use.
BTW, the truck sounds very nice and you seem to have gotten a great deal on it. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back