which oil filter to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
oil changes around 5000 miles...what is a good oil filter to use? I would like it to have a silicon anti drain back valve. something under $10 too. and metal end caps would be nice too

For less than $10, Purolator Pure One, Wix, Bosch Premium ... and best of all is Fram Ultra at Walmart.

Actually, with 5k OCI any filter will be okay even the lowly house brand filters like Pep Boys Proline or O'Reilly Microguard ...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
For less than $10, Purolator Pure One, Wix, Bosch Premium ... and best of all is Fram Ultra at Walmart.

Actually, with 5k OCI any filter will be okay even the lowly house brand filters like Pep Boys Proline or O'Reilly Microguard ...

really? fram would be better than purolator?

ok i think ive narrowed it down to either the PureOne, or Fram Ultra. Which one has better flow rate? especially for cold start ups?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Which one has better flow rate? especially for cold start ups?

The Fram Ultra has synthetic media and I believe it flows better. And frankly, with a Fram Ultra, you should feel confident running it for two 5K OCIs and maybe even three.

I will always use napa proselect or gold(silicon adv)
I just like em..
49.gif

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
I will always use napa proselect or gold(silicon adv)
I just like em..
49.gif

yeah the mechanic always uses Napa Proselect and mine slaps like crazy on start up and its a little noisy too. So i wont be using the Proselect. Im looking for whatever flows best and has silicon antidrainbackvalve.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
ok i think ive narrowed it down to either the PureOne, or Fram Ultra. Which one has better flow rate? especially for cold start ups?

I don't think you really have to worry cold startups in Florida
21.gif

My vote would be PureONE

Last edited by a moderator:
Napa filters are on sale until April 30.

Napa Gold oil filters are Wix.
Napa Silver is also made by Wix but slightly lesser quality, but still good.

Napa Platinum is Wix XP, which is an awesome filter like M1, K&N, Bosch D+, but such a filter designed for extended drain is totally unnecessary for 5k.

Through the end of April,
Napa Silver is $2.54
Napa Gold is $4.95
Napa Platinum is $7.54

Other than the Napa Wix filters, I **love** the Purolator PureOne. It is a VERY good filter like Wix/Napa Gold, and many people have even used it for extended drains. But what really makes me go nuts over it is the texture grip. OMG it's friggin AWESOME! The yellow color is cool too.

For your Honda you may want to try the Hyundai/Kia oil filter. Cheap, about $5.00, with metal end caps and a silicone anti-drainback valve.

For 5k miles?

Find the least expensive brand name or house brand filter you can. The real world statistical data shows that filtration matters little in such short OCIs. Despite what marketing hype and internet rhetoric will tell you, the reality is that filtration affects wear very little once a minimum threshold is met. Nearly any entry level brand name filter will more than run 5k miles, and do it every bit as well as a premium filter.

Only your wallet will know the difference; your engine never will.

dn3, you know that advice falls on deaf ears. Oil filters are a kind of mystical cult, where the use of a high-end filter makes people think they are "treating" their engine or doing it a favour somehow.

Blah-blah-blah "cheap insurance" yadda-yadda.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
For 5k miles?

Find the least expensive brand name or house brand filter you can. The real world statistical data shows that filtration matters little in such short OCIs.

OP - this is one of the knowledgeable members you should be listening to! Regular maintenance is what matters. Oil and filter brand; not so much.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Only your wallet will know the difference; your engine never will.

But the brain will think it's better for the engine, and the few extra dollars leaving the wallet won't matter. Besides, if a car 'knows' you're taking care if it, then it will take care of you.
smile.gif

Buy the cheapest by the case and save on inflation over time. Oil filters are like fishing lures, they attract more fishermen (and women) than fish.

Except I hate Fram, because they rhyme with scam, and the cheap ones are painted S.F. Giants colors.

However I buy the most expensive of everything because I'm wealthy and don't care.

Last edited:
For under $10 in order

1. Napa Platinum $7.54 now
2. Fram Ultra 8.99 WM
3. Puro Synthetic 9.99 AAP

For 5,000 MILE OCI's
1. MC
2. P-1

The first 3 or designed specifically with Synthetics in mind, the bottom 2 are not but very good for a shorter OCI. I would think in terms of a combination, oil and filter, based on what my objectives were and whether it was within recommended warranty, what condition the engine was, the length in time between changes, etc. in coming up with a best per your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back