Which oil Fiat Stilo Abarth 2.4L 20V Selespeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I'm from Europe (Austria) and just got a new engine for my Stilo Abarth. So I'm wondering which oil I should use.

1. What kind of vehicle you have:
Fiat Stilo Abarth Selespeed 2.4L 20V

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
Car was sold with Selenia Racing 10w-60.. some Italian mechanic said to me that some Selenia 10w-40 would be fine as well.. but as it is a bit colder in Austria than in Italy, I might want to use 5w-40 oil. No idea what certifications those oils have
smirk.gif

3. Where you live
Austria, Vienna

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
Rather fast.. sometimes I drive at some mountain roads with no traffic and a lot of curves. But it's not like I have spinning wheels after every stop or drive at 4000 rpm the whole time. More like 2000-3000. But generally I like to push the pedal to the metal :>

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
Depends a lot.. I live in the capital city of Austria.. sometimes I drive short trips.. sometimes longer ones.. sometimes highway and sometimes just through the city. Pretty much every summer I drive to Italy for vacation (~600km highway).

6. Whether your car has any known problems
Not really.. Its a new engine with 1400 kilometers. Some people say that this engine needs a thicker oil (10w-60) and also in Italy they put in some 10w-x oil.. But in Austria we sometimes can get -30 Celsius during night (from what I read 10w-x is recommend for -25 Celsius). Also I read that this engine needs the thicker oil because the oil will remain on some parts of the engine so when starting there is already oil. But then there are people driving with 0w-30 and don't have any problems.. so I really don't know what to use
smirk.gif

I prefer full synthetic. I will change the oil every year (when driving to Italy for vacation.. as repairing/service costs are way cheaper there and they know much more about my italian bella ;P). So every summer or every ~10.000 kilometers.

I thought about following oils:

Mobil 1 Peak Life 5w-50 (also called Rallye Forumla 5w-50)
Selenia Racing 10w-60
Selenia K-Pure-Enegery 5w-40
Selenia 20K 10w-40 (no idea if this is full synthetic?)
Selenia Performer 5w-40 (no idea if this is full synthetic?)

There are also some special Selenia Abarth oils.. if they are better then I would use them as well. Price is not so important as I can get most oils pretty cheap.

From my understanding the Mobil 1 5w-50 would have the best viscosity index and from what I read it is a very good product. However, Selenia is THE Fiat oil for ages already and they develop their oil for fiat engines. They are also used in other Italian cars (Alfa Romeo,Lancia,Maserati and even Ferrari). But viscosity index isn't everything and there are other factors as well? Also I'm not sure which oil would be best for my engine..

Thanks

@edit:
I have uploaded data sheets/characteristics from all the oils I thought about. You can download them here:

http://files.bestmail.ws/index.php?dir=oil/
or
http://files.bestmail.ws/oil/

They have information about all kind of stuff but I have no idea what is important e.g.
Quote:

Mobil 1 5W-50 Value
Viscosity, cSt ASTM D445
@ 40º C 108
@ 100º C 17.5
Viscosity Index 180
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 1.3
Phosphorous, wt% (ASTM D4951) 0.1
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 231
Density @15.6 ºC g/ml, (ASTM D4052) 0.85
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896) 11.8
MRV at -35 ºC, cP (ASTM D4684) 29,244
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150 ºC (ASTM D4683) 4.4

Last edited:
What weight exactly does the book recommend?

I would probably use m1 0w40

Wish I could get an abarth in america
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said: Selenia Racing (its 10w-60).
But the Italian mechanic guy said that this was in the past.. now they alaways use some Selenia 10w-40 (no idea which one). As well as he said that I might want to get a 5w-40 as it is colder in Austria during winter than in italy.

Here are the datasheets for the Selenia Racing 10w-60:
http://files.bestmail.ws/oil/Selenia-Racing-10w-60-Characteristics.pdf
http://files.bestmail.ws/oil/Selenia-Racing-10w-60.pdf

From the austrian fiat store they once said that they still use the 10w-60 (but they didn't really know much about my car.. had to explain him twice that "selespeed" is the name of my gearbox).. while i think in germany they use some 5w-40 oil.. But no idea which one.

@edit: 0w-40 ? Isnt that too thin? :S Generally I think the thiner the better (at startup it gets faster everywhere) but 0w-x maybe also means it gets lost much faster. Haven't heard about anyone using such a thin oil in the stilo abarth
smirk.gif

Wished I could get one of those 7800 liters engines you have in the US ! :p

Last edited:
o_O a 60wt oil for a 5cyl with 160hp?? seems thick for the little thing, but I would follow their recommendations...

its 170 bhp ! :p

actually in germany some engines already blew up when they drove at hot summers on the highway for some hours at max. speed with xw-40.. so I guess thats why it got sold with 10w-60. But I think for me a xw-40/50 will be fine.

But which 5w-40 selenia? There are like 3 different selenia oils :S

Why not the mobil one 5w-50 ?

thanks

Last edited:
If you can find the mobil 50wt go for it, it is a very good oil, I just cant believe they blew up with 40wt... in a low performance 5 cyl..

Alright.. I guess I will go for the mobil1 peak life 5w-50 then.. does it have the same certifications as the selenia racin 10w-60 ? Or is it the same / nothing to worry about?

thanks !

Originally Posted By: zakazak
But viscosity index isn't everything and there are other factors as well?

I would NOT say the above to some on this site, unless you want to get quite the earful!
wink.gif

BTW; I understand the relationship between Selenia and most of the Italian manufacturers, but whatever became of Agip (are they now considered a 'dead' brand)??

@edit: 0w-40 ? Isnt that too thin? :S Generally I think the thiner the better (at startup it gets faster everywhere) but 0w-x maybe also means it gets lost much faster. Haven't heard about anyone using such a thin oil in the stilo abarth
smirk.gif

:p

As suggested M1 0W-40 would be my recommendation and it's not "thin" with a HTHS viscosity of 3.8cP, that's thicker than many 5W-40s including Shell Helix 5W-40 (HTHS vis' 3.68cP).

Also if your car doesn't have an oil pressure gauge I'd consider having one installed and that would eliminate all doubt as to whether the oil selected is too thin.

Selenia is still developing oils? And there are a lot of new oils (since the punto/500 abarth). That italian mechguy also told me that selenia is the oil which ferrari/maserati is using.. so I think it still must be a good & "active" oil?

get quite the earful means they will flame me or they will tell me a lot of information about oil? If its the second one, then people are more than welcomed to do so :p

mobil1 however recommends the 0w-40 for my stilo abarth... mhh I can't decide what to use :S

get quite the earful means they will flame me or they will tell me a lot of information about oil? If its the second one, then people are more than welcomed to do so :p

Very much mostly the latter, and CATERHAM seems to be one of the most helpful/knowledgable in this regard (V.I. vs HTHS vs. cSt @100*F, etc.).
cool.gif
wink.gif

So tomorrow I want to order the oil.. If no one else recommends me smth else (and explains me why smth else is better :p) then I would order the Mobil 1 Peak Life 5w-50
smile.gif

@Mechtech: which mobile1 0w-40 would you recommend? New life or ESP ?

Also: I just checked weather data from my city for the last 5 years.. temperaturers were never really lower than -25C (once -27C) so I could also use a 10w-x (like the stilo manual recommend the selenia racing 10w-60).. but Then i also think that 0w/5w would be better for starting than 10w?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back