Which oil do your fleet vehicles use?

Like the title says, which oil does your fleet use? The last time I checked, NYPD used Petro-Canada. What does your company use? How do they determine change intervals?

Whatever Akins Ford uses. They have the maintenance contract on ours, which are currently about half and half Ford ExplorerPoliceInterceptor things and half Chargers.

15w40 MFA in everything except the 2020 F-250 (Schaeffer 5w30) and the club car golf carts (RT6 5w40). Our service intervals are 10k miles for heavy trucks, 5k on the F-250, 3k on the older pickups, 300 hours on forklifts, loaders, and yard hustler trucks, and 50 hours on the golf carts.

Pick-up trucks and vans:
- NAPA bulk 5w-20 (and no, it doesn't keep things looking shiny clean)
- NAPA filters

Freightliner 5-ton straight-frames:
- Bulk dealer 15w-40
- Luberfiner filters

Kenworth 5-ton straight-frame:
- Synthetic 5w-40 (think it is Delvac 1 ESP)
- Paccar filters

Whatever the current quick lube contract is. Used to be valvoline, in whatever grade specified for the vehicle. Now we are at jiffy lube, using pennzoil here...

I work for DOT a state agency, that rents vehicles and equipment from another state agency called state fleet.
we maintain the vehicles and equipment assigned to us.

Passenger vehicles from small cars to 1 ton pickups get 5w30 Cenex at 5k/or 1 year, tire rotation every 10k

Plow trucks get 5w40 diesel oil at 500 hrs/or 1 year, grease every 50 hrs and check tire pressure every 100 hrs, was Cenex for years but last barrel we got was a brand I haven't heard of, cant remember what it was, but started with a p

Sinopec 5w30 full synthetic for gasser Ford's and Chevys.

Sinopec 5w40 full synthetic for all Rams requiring 0w40.

Sinopec 15w40 synthetic blend on all Diesel trucks, small engines, stationary power plants.

Fleet manager here.
2020 Ford E-350 & 450’s, 7.3L Godzilla engine, Safety-Kleen 15w-40 semi syn, NAPA Gold oil filters, 10,000 mile oil changes.
2020 Ford F-59 chassis, same engine, same oil, filters and intervals.
2020 Ford Transit 250, Mobil 1 5w-30, 10k.
Frieghtliner MT55 chassis, various years, Cummins engines, same oil, same intervals.
And one Powerstroke, same oil, same intervals.

How did I determine the oil and interval?
Application- delivery trucks. On the road 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, parked inside a heated building at night.
Price- I go through a lot of oil, I need it to be affordable.
Manufacture recommendation- Ford recommends 10k with the Godzilla engine, they designed it specifically for longer oil change intervals, larger oil sump and oil cooler.
Over all cost of ownership- can’t make money if the cost of oil changes is to high.
Service life- all of my equipment is rode hard and put away wet. I need it to last well past the last loan payment.

All of the diesels take 5 gal of oil.
All of the ghas engines take 2 gal of oil.
Transits take 6 qts.

One gas engine oil change is $30.
One Diesel engine oil change is $65.
One Transit oil change is $30.

Sinopec 5w30 full synthetic for gasser Ford's and Chevys.

Sinopec 5w40 full synthetic for all Rams requiring 0w40.

Sinopec 15w40 synthetic blend on all Diesel trucks, small engines, stationary power plants.
I wonder about that stuff - straight from China(but also well-known as Sinopec is one of the world’s biggest oil companies, but it’s also analogous to Pemex and Venezuela’s own oil company) and Amazon sold it alongside Sinopec USA.

Back