which oil companies are actually AMERICAN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Hmmm so maybe ill use valvoline or havoline? I've never heard any bad about the 2 I've heard mixed reviews about Mobil

What kind of mixed reviews? Mobil 1 is the oil used by many teams in LeMans, Daytona....etc. Also the oil of choice (their 0w40) for many, MANY high-end Euro cars.

They are the largest, and also one of the few "American" oil companies. Dating right back to Standard Oil.

One thing you will find about buying oil from the "majors" is that they often have development agreements and projects with manufacturers. This goes for CP, BP, Shell and ExxonMobil. Though Valvoline I believe has some sort of arrangement with Cummins. I think they are the only blender to have one. I could be wrong though.

Anyway:
-SOPUS has Ferrari and I believe Chrysler now.
-ExxonMobil has Honda, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Chrysler (before the BK), GM and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
-BP has BMW, Bugatti (though they may be Mobil now)..etc
-CP has Ford

And some of these companies have "flagship" oils. For Mobil, it is their 0w40. Meets an obscene amount of Euro specs. For BP, it is the Castrol TWS 10w60, for SOPUS, likely the Pennzoil Euro 5w40.

Sorry about that I meant sopus my phone thinks it knows more than me an auto corrects every darn thing. I wouldn't use royal purple to expensive. My Saturn uses a quart every 1400 miles I'd prefer to use a decent conventional oil and change it every 3000 or sooner if I get bored. Ive used Pennzoil before last time I used the yellow bottle my head started leaking. I'm sure it wasnt the oils fault but it was a day after I changed the oil and i just seem to have bad luck and I don't want to try again. When I used Castrol syntec my car threw a rod just driving it. Also not the oils fault I don't think but didn't leave me with a good feeling. I recently tried pp and my Saturn drank it like crazy. So I figured a decent conventional oil is what would be best.

I've heard that Mobil was more hype than anything. A few people have said that there oils were ok at best when they had an oil analysis done. None of it was proven to me so if that's wrong please tell me.

I've heard that Mobil was more hype than anything. A few people have said that there oils were ok at best when they had an oil analysis done. None of it was proven to me so if that's wrong please tell me.

Please take oil analysis comments with a huge grain of salt. They do not typically tell you much about an oil's performance.

Only tear-down testing can do that, and as far as I know, the only guy on this board who has done that is Doug Hillary
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Hmmm so maybe ill use valvoline or havoline? I've never heard any bad about the 2 I've heard mixed reviews about Mobil

What kind of mixed reviews? Mobil 1 is the oil used by many teams in LeMans, Daytona....etc. Also the oil of choice (their 0w40) for many, MANY high-end Euro cars.

They are the largest, and also one of the few "American" oil companies. Dating right back to Standard Oil.

One thing you will find about buying oil from the "majors" is that they often have development agreements and projects with manufacturers. This goes for CP, BP, Shell and ExxonMobil. Though Valvoline I believe has some sort of arrangement with Cummins. I think they are the only blender to have one. I could be wrong though.

Anyway:
-ExxonMobil has Honda, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Chrysler (before the BK), GM and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
-CP has Ford

And some of these companies have "flagship" oils. For Mobil, it is their 0w40. Meets an obscene amount of Euro specs. For BP, it is the Castrol TWS 10w60, for SOPUS, likely the Pennzoil Euro 5w40.

Honda is now CP not XOM. Chrysler has both SOPUS and XOM as suppliers?

with the SN/Gf-5 spec they're all pretty much the same since your not using synthetic. Use what bottle you think looks more cool.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06

Anyway:
-CP has Ford

Honda's HTO-06 was developed with XOM. I think they use multiple suppliers. Chrysler uses/used Mobil 1 0w40 for their SRT vehicles, but I believe factory fill is now SOPUS as per Johnny. Things changed after the bankruptcy.

Anyway:
-CP has Ford

Honda's HTO-06 was developed with XOM. I think they use multiple suppliers. Chrysler uses/used Mobil 1 0w40 for their SRT vehicles, but I believe factory fill is now SOPUS as per Johnny. Things changed after the bankruptcy.

Makes sense, thanks for the clarification!

No problem. And I agree with your point above about using an approved oil at a reasonable interval if he's going to use conventional. Whatever is on sale.

So basically all conventional oil is the same? I thought there were big differences in the add pack.

There are big differences in the add pack but they have the same end result.

When it comes to oil selection, honestly, just pick one, run it and see how your vehicle "likes" it. Try a few different brands and come back to the one you like (or your vehicle "likes") best. No matter the brand, a decent, reputable brand oil is not going to do anything negative to your engine.

That's my .02 on it.

Honda's HTO-06 was developed with XOM.

This is something I didn't know. Pennzoil's labeling includes this spec prominently on the 5W-30 grade, and it does show up on the Mobil 1 bottles also, but it's much more discrete.

there are 3 main different add packs
1. moly & boron
2. sodium
3. Titanium with boron or sodium

all oils contain good doses of calcium, Zinc, Phosphorous to the SN specs.

Valvoline:
Valvoline conventional/durablend/synpower uses mostly calcium/Sodium
Vavloline maxlife uses calcium/sodium/moly

Mobil
Mobil super line up uses calcium/Sodium/titanium
Mobil 1 uses calcium/magnesium/boron/moly

Castrol
GTX uses sodium/calcium/moly
Syntec uses... calcium/magnesium/moly
Edge uses calcium/magnesium/titanium

Pennzoil:
PYB, PP, & PU: boron/moly/calcium, just in different concentrations.

CP:
Motorcraft/Honda/Trop Artic: moly, boron, calcium
Kendall with LT: moly, titanium, calcium

Havoline: no moly or sodium, just calcium in the newest VOA

Im sure i forgot some and some need updated.

Last edited:
there are 3 main different add packs
1. moly & boron
2. sodium
3. Titanium with boron or sodium

all oils contain good doses of calcium, Zinc, Phosphorous to the SN specs.

Valvoline:
Valvoline conventional/durablend/synpower uses mostly calcium/Sodium
Vavloline maxlife uses calcium/sodium/moly

Mobil
Mobil super line up uses calcium/Sodium/titanium
Mobil 1 uses calcium/magnesium/boron/moly

Castrol
GTX uses sodium/calcium/moly
Syntec uses... calcium/magnesium/moly
Edge uses calcium/magnesium/titanium

Pennzoil:
PYB, PP, & PU: boron/moly/calcium, just in different concentrations.

CP:
Motorcraft/Honda/Trop Artic: moly, boron, calcium
Kendall with LT: moly, titanium, calcium

Havoline: no moly or sodium, just calcium in the newest VOA

Im sure i forgot some and some need updated.

Pretty nice list you`v got their.

Ok what's all that mean ? Moly , sodium ,titanium ect...... What do each of those do. Since my car is a Saturn id imagine a good oil that doesn't burn off and has excellent cleaning abilities. Sorry for all the questions I'm just very interested if you know of a place where I can read and educate let me know

Ok what's all that mean ? Moly , sodium ,titanium ect...... What do each of those do. Since my car is a Saturn id imagine a good oil that doesn't burn off and has excellent cleaning abilities. Sorry for all the questions I'm just very interested if you know of a place where I can read and educate let me know

Well, I know you mentioned not wanting to go back to pyb. So why not go for the gtx, or vwb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back