Which oil cleans a sludged engine the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I was given a 1999 Toyota Camry V6 from my father. I changed the oil myself, but the oil was very slow flowing and sludgy when draining. I have read that this vehicle is prone to sludge.

I don't want to use any chemical cleaners on it. I was hoping to let a synthetic motor oil clean it.

I had read about Penzoil Platinum Ultra, but that claim they make on cleanliness is very deceiving. They only focus on Piston cleanliness, which is only affected by the small amounts of oil that every engine burns when tiny amounts of oil flow past the pistons into the cylinders, and the smoke from that burned oil is a little cleaner when Penzoil Ultra burns. But that says nothing at all to what we really want a detergent oil to be: To clean out a sludge engine.

So I had seen this link on Mobil 1's website:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Mobil_1_Sludge_Protection.aspx

Mobil claims that in one 4,000 mile oil change with Mobil 1, that it can completely clean out a sludged engine. Could Mobil 1's claim be correct?

Are there other oils that clean better than Mobil 1? I would prefer not to use any chemical cleaners, as they can dry out seals, and cause other issues.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

It has been suggested that Redline Oils may be more effective at cleaning due the base stocks they use.

In a 99 Camry, I'd run a short interval (500-1000) with ANY affordable SN oil, then go to a 4k with M1 or Ultra.

Welcome to Bitog! No cleaning products. Lets hope no one suggests any and stays on topic.
smile.gif

I'd use Mobil 1 high mileage oil, and stick with it.

Check the PCV valve and replace it if needed.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENPVLMOMobil_1_High_Mileage_Oil.aspx

Just use a regular oil .and use new paint filter to filter the old oil.run till oil is hot .wait 20 minute .filter oil with paint filter .rinse and repeat till your satisfied then put new oil in engine .4 time should remove most if not all the sludge

Thanks for your reply... I believe my father was using Penzoil Yellow Bottle oil with 3k to 4k oil changes since new. He changed the oil himself. That's why I'm thinking, that a synthetic oil is needed in this application due to excessive heat that this engine produces. Regarding the PCV - I went to Toyota dealer and bought a factory OEM PCV. Am having my local mechanic install it.

Thank you for your repsonses.

I'm not looking to save money on the oil. I don't mind spending more money if there is 1 oil that stands out among the rest as the best oil to clean out a sludge engine.

Please give me a Synthetic Oil recommendation that you think cleans out sludged engine better than all the other Synthetic oils.

Is Mobil 1 the best choice due to this URL from Mobil's website:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Mobil_1_Sludge_Protection.aspx

Please let me know your thoughts after seeing this article on Mobil's website. Is it believable? If so, then Mobil 1 is the obvious choice to clean out a sludged engine?

1st thing to do, BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE, is to pull off the front valve cover and inspect underneath...THEN you can talk about sludge and remedies...

...post a photo too...that would be helpful to those who wish to advise.

Mm.running hot ?might be a bad thermostat .might be time for new coolant and thermostat .ask your father when he last changed coolant.if he didnt ?might need to makeboth radiator flushed .(the engine one and the heater one)toyota shouldnt run hot .and those thing last forever evrn with less then stellar oil.

Thanks KitaCam for your input... I can change the oil, but I am not a mechanic, so pulling the valve cover is something I would need a mechanic to do. From the slow flowing slugy black oil that came out of the oil pan drain hole when I changed the oil, I would think that there is a significant amount of sludge in this engine.
As a comparision, in the previous vehicle I had owned (Ford E150 Van), the oil always flowed quickly out of the drain pan and was always dark brown (never black).

But, still, my question remains - Which Synthetic oil is best to clean out a sludged engine?
Also, can Mobil's claim be beleived that by using Mobil 1 for a single 4,000 mile oil change, clean out a sludged engine:

Worst experience I've ever had was the 300D in my sig-oil came out as glops of crud-and M1 TDT helped clean it out. Nothing is a miracle fix, but unless you want to pay someone to drop the pan & clean it out, M1 would be a good way to do it GRADUALLY.

M1 or Pennzoil Platinum changed every 5k for 3-4 OCIs will clean up old deposits.

...but this:
"I believe my father was using Penzoil Yellow Bottle oil with 3k to 4k oil changes since new..."

...suggests that oil itself may not be enough...your dad's OCIs were just fine...

...and you don't say how many miles on the Cam soooooo...if the plugs/timing belt haven't been changed, whoa, it's time...along with h20 pump, timing belt tensioner, serpentine belt...

...and at THAT time the valve cover(s) can be pulled for inspection...(replacing the valve cover gasket at that time...) as well as PCV valve/hose

more here...
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-5t...anted-know.html

Last edited:
I guess Mobil 1 would be the choice. I haven't seen any real life examples of just oil cleaning an engine.

Mobil 1 at least gives some evidence that their oil cleans, they don't just "claim" it like Pennzoil. Kendall has a video of an engine that shows kendall keeps a motor extremely clean but that doesn't really indicate it can clean up a dirty motor.

No, you can't tell anything about the internal condition from how the oil flowed out. Besides, you have the info from previous changes and that is not indicative of a problem.

Also, do not look at the baffle under the oil cap and think that is the engine internals. If your 1MZ-FE is like mine (which I'm sure it is) then there is a baffle under the cap that is covered with a black gritty substance which is normal. Like everyone has said on here, you cannot diagnose your engine without opening it up and looking somewhere. If you came on here and said that the engine was short-tripped all its life with 7500+ mile intervals on bulk oil then that would be different. It's not the case.

Your conclusion that "there is a significant amount of sludge in this engine" is not warranted.

Originally Posted By: Java123
Thanks KitaCam for your input... I can change the oil, but I am not a mechanic, so pulling the valve cover is something I would need a mechanic to do. From the slow flowing slugy black oil that came out of the oil pan drain hole when I changed the oil, I would think that there is a significant amount of sludge in this engine.
As a comparision, in the previous vehicle I had owned (Ford E150 Van), the oil always flowed quickly out of the drain pan and was always dark brown (never black).

But, still, my question remains - Which Synthetic oil is best to clean out a sludged engine?
Also, can Mobil's claim be beleived that by using Mobil 1 for a single 4,000 mile oil change, clean out a sludged engine:

Also, that front valve cover is just about the easiest thing to pull there is. It's not quite as indicative as pulling the back one but a whole lot easier.

I'd say that the answer to your question is "short OCI's", and not a brand of oil. Given that you'll be changing the oil very frequently, I'd say that syn would mostly just drain your wallet more quickly.

I'm doing the same thing with my brother's 1994 Lexus ES300. Valvolilne NG maxlife that I scored for $0.99 at 1000 mile OCI, a few times, then Mobil Super 5000 for the rest of its life.

My 1MZ-FE oil drains out pretty black and "icky" too, but here is what the front bank looked like at 232,000 miles. My friend who did have a sludged up 1MZ-FE had clean looking oil FWIW.

I would use a name brand synthetic oil. They should all do well at cleaning. Replace the PCV.

But unless you can pull the valve cover its hard to tell if the engine is sludged.

Originally Posted By: Java123
Hi,

.... I changed the oil myself, but the oil was very slow flowing and sludgy when draining....

What oil did you put back in when you changed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back