Which oil Chrysler 3.3 / 3.8 engines ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always used a 5w-30 or 10-30 in my Chrysler 3.3L in my Caravan. For the past few weeks I've been thinking of trying the Delvac 1300 15w-40 for the summer as I will be taking a 2,000 trip next month. The engine uses no oil and has 157k miles on it.

I guess I'm concerned that 10w-30 isn't up to the task of driving all day at 70 mph. Will I loose fuel economy moving up to the Delvac 1300? Any reason not to make a run with the Delvac 1300 other than it isn't recommended in my owners manual?

I will be doing an analyis at end of the year if I try it. I don't want to risk blowing out a oil seal with too thick an oil. I also have some of the Big Lot's 5w-40 Havoline left. Perhaps that would be just as good to try it.

One problem with trying Delvac 1300 is that it is only found at WAlmart in my area and that means I have to get 2 gallons to get the 5 qrts that I need.

What do you think? I cannot find much about the Chrysler engines with heavier oils.

[ May 27, 2004, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Cressida ]

If you don't burn any 10w30 then don't rock the boat! 70mph is cake, unless you've got it floored going up a mountain. To me, road trips aren't the time to experiment on something new but to use the tried and true and enjoy the scenery.

I seem to recall seeing Pennzoil LL 15w40 in quarts as well as gallons at my local wally's, if you want to buy an exact amount, and aren't stuck on the Delvac.

The havoline synth would be a good choice as well. I run rotella 5/40 synth in my 2.5 Dakota and while it's a different everything I like it.

I'd spend more effort trying to protect your tranny, personally. Sounds like you've kept the engine in great shape!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Cressida:
One problem with trying Delvac 1300 is that it is only found at WAlmart in my area and that means I have to get 2 gallons to get the 5 qrts that I need.

They are now carrying Delvac 1300 in one-quart bottles.

quote:

Originally posted by Cressida:

I also have some of the Big Lot's 5w-40 Havoline left. Perhaps that would be just as good to try it.

I would use the Havoline . Big Lots got hold of it probably because it's old stock so myself I would use it before it got another year older + it's already paid for
smile.gif

If it is the SJ 5w-40 it had around 2k ppm of zinc
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back