which of these 3 to make my "go to" oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) motorcraft 5w20(synblend)
2) PYB 5w20
3) Meijer (Warren) Full syn 5w20

car in question is my Recently Purchased 2009 Sable,(Ford 3.5l Cyclone engine, approx 70,800 mi)no Idea as to it's history.
The Dealer I bought it from had changed the oil with god knows what bulk oil, and a carquest Branded filter.
I recently put Meijer Syn 5w20 in with an fl400s, and intend to run it 6mo/5k mi/OLM prompt whichever is more convenient.
Used the meijer Syn, for 2 reasons: it was in my stash, and it was the only 5w20 i had left.

I only drive about 8k mi/year, mostly trips 5 mi or so (to/from work), occasional trip 30 mi or so to my sister's place, and once or twice a year 1100 mi to my brother's place in Tx. (all distances listed are 1 way)

I listed the oils in Price order at my employer, with about a $3 spread (for 5qt jugs). The Motorcraft is the most expensive, with PYB about a $1.50 cheaper, and the Meijer Syn another $1.50 cheaper still.
as for Filters, either the Fl400s, or PureOnes (recently on sale 2/$10, we don't sell the MC Filters, i'd have to venture to the darkside to buy them(Wally)(we only stock Purolator, Fram, and M1 Filters.)

Engine takes 5.5 qts, and i plan on using the .5 qt I have left over from Changing the oil in My Buddies Vibe (whatever 5w30 i find on sale) for my extra 1/2 qt over the standard jug.

I would just go with PYB. I have never liked blends. Who knows is its 99/1 or 1/99 (%) its a blend, it can be either. But I assume Motorcraft would be good oil.

The Warren full syn is a ok product I would run it with out worry and CarQuest filters Wix, red economy cheapy, blue is CarQuest premium and as Wix and NAPA Gold

Originally Posted By: earlyre

I recently put Meijer Syn 5w20 in with an fl400s, and intend to run it 6mo/5k mi/OLM prompt whichever is more convenient.

If your planning to do this interval then I'd just get whatever is cheapest.

Is Meijer a big chain ? We don't have Meijer in California. If it's a fairly big chain then their brand of oil is decent( Warren is a decent oil blender too); I would use their syn oil if it's less than PYB and Motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Is Meijer a big chain ? We don't have Meijer in California. If it's a fairly big chain then their brand of oil is decent( Warren is a decent oil blender too); I would use their syn oil if it's less than PYB and Motorcraft.

Michigan based, 250 or so stores in 5 states(MI,OH,IN,KY,IL)

as i said, i've no issues or qualms about using any of them, and truth be told, I have become kind of a SOPUS fanboy since joining here, but walking down the oil isle, see the Full syn, that i know is made by a good company, and it's cheaper than PYB? how do you not........

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
motorcraft is pricey and who knows how much syn is in there. i like pyb or supertech which is good oil

remember like 4 years ago, when the Motorcraft blend was one of the cheapest oils out there?
won't be supertech.
I despise WM, even if they weren't the competition for my employer, i still wouldn't darken their door unless i have to.

If paying at or near the same price as conventional, choosing the synthetic will always be the more logical choice.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
motorcraft is pricey and who knows how much syn is in there. i like pyb or supertech which is good oil

remember like 4 years ago, when the Motorcraft blend was one of the cheapest oils out there?
won't be supertech.
I despise WM, even if they weren't the competition for my employer, i still wouldn't darken their door unless i have to.

If the Meijer house brand syn is the least expensive oil available, use it.
WPP blends good oil and Meijer seems to have quality house brand products.
Incidentally, Meijer has little to fear from Walmart.
Pricing is about the same and the shopping experience is far more pleasant at Meijer.
Meijer also has a great wine selection to go along with their decent oil selection as well as much better produce, meat, poultry and fish than any Walmart.

revisiting this topic... my memory was playing tricks with me on the prices...
5qt jugs:
Motorcraft $17.99
Meijer Full Syn $17.49
PYB $16.49

in single qts, the only price i remember off hand is the PYB $4.29
I do remember that by the Qt, the high to low
Meijer Syn
Motorcraft
PYB $4.29

Worth pointing out that the Meijer oil is the same as Supertech - all of it is blended by Warren.

Motorcraft is my own go-to as it is the OEM. If not that, Warren Synthetic is a great choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back