Which of these 0W30s do you like the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CAR: 2018 Golf R

CURRENT FILL: FUCHS GT1 PRO FLEX 5W30

As timing has it I will be doing an oil change this week

AVAILABLE for new fill:
Heading into winter I have these 2 oils on hand

(Both of these oils are warranty approved for this application as each have the VW 504 certification).

(A UOA will for sure be performed as I have a few prepaid Blackstone analyses in my pocket).

Last edited:
From what I've been told both oils are good. I'd use the Pennzoil product, given the choice.

I've found that particular Pennzoil at Advance Auto and used it twice in my GTI. It is the most expensive oil I've ever used.
It is interesting Pennzoil states that oil reduces inlet valve deposits.

I think using any VW 504/507 oil will help reduce such deposits vs using a full saps version of a VW 502 oil.

There are some VW 502 oils which are mid-saps, usually those will be BMW LL04 approved/recommended as a tell tale sign.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
used it twice in my GTI.

Thanks for the reply 'skyactiv' (and 'demar').

For how many miles did you have it in the sump on each occasion?

Did you notice any consumption?

(I take it there is no UOA?)

Originally Posted by skyactiv
It is the most expensive oil I've ever used.

I picked it up this past summer at a great price
thumbsup2.gif

Both are long life oils, and I consider them as equals.
Btw, what's your intended OCI ?

Originally Posted by zeng
Btw, what's your intended OCI ?

Through a full winter and into the summer, so likely 12k to 14k km.

So I live in Minnesota and have a car that burns some oil. Would a 0-30 be a better choice than a 0-20 as far as reducing the burning? How would a 0-20 compare to a 0-30 for cold starts?

A 2018 Golf R in the U.S. is supposed to use a 502.00 oil, not 504.
That means Walmart's M1 0w40 or some other high-saps 0w40, they're all quite good.
Of course the 504.00 oils are fine, just not technically what VW tells you to use here. In fact we see American Corvettes going to M1 ESP style oil (0w40 dexos2) these days.

I just checked Canada's Castrol website, and it says to use a 502.00 oil too. Are you sure the Canadian VW owner's manual says to use a 504.00 oil?

Originally Posted by philipp10
So I live in Minnesota and have a car that burns some oil. Would a 0-30 be a better choice than a 0-20 as far as reducing the burning? How would a 0-20 compare to a 0-30 for cold starts?
Yes, a thicker oil often helps reduce oil usage. Sadly, a 0w20 does flow better cold. I'd say just use a 0w20 in the winter, because it will be plenty thick when cold weather is around, and change March or April 2019 to a 0w30, then back to a 0w20 next fall.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
A 2018 Golf R in the U.S. is supposed to use a 502.00 oil, not 504.

I just checked Canada's Castrol website, and it says to use a 502.00 oil too. Are you sure the Canadian VW owner's manual says to use a 504.00 oil?

Not only in the manual "oil film movies" but even under the hood.

IMG_20181104_113203.jpg

It is funny to read...because here that particular vw spec is always written as vw504/507...

Can you really buy a vw504 oil alone overseas?

Vw502 in USofA is because of your fuel there( if sulphur still represents problem there?)

And back to the OP dilema...

I would choose Pennzoil....since it has GTL base...

Originally Posted by 21Rouge
CAR: 2018 Golf R

CURRENT FILL: FUCHS GT1 PRO FLEX 5W30

As timing has it I will be doing an oil change this week

AVAILABLE for new fill:

(Both of these oils are warranty approved for this application as each have the VW 504 certification).

(A UOA will for sure be performed as I have a few prepaid Blackstone analyses in my pocket).

I would use Castrol 0W40

BUT, if you are stuck on VW 504.00 use Mobil1 ESP 5W30.

Just wondering...would the Mobil 1 ESP 5-30 be a better choice since it has more certs for anti-wear and deposits and has 1000ppm calcium and very very low sodium, so technically its a LSPI oil as is the 0w oil? 0w to 5w there is what a -5 deg difference in pour point? Looks to be more robust??

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
It is funny to read...because here that particular vw spec is always written as vw504/507... Can you really buy a vw504 oil alone overseas? .
Seeing the two numbers together simply means it meets both specs. As long as there is either a 502.00 or a 504.00 somewhere on the spec list, you can use that particular oil in this Golf R.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by 21Rouge

AVAILABLE for new fill:

I would use Castrol 0W40

BUT, if you are stuck on VW 504.00 use Mobil1 ESP 5W30.

confused2.gif
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by Mainia
Just wondering...would the Mobil 1 ESP 5-30 be a better choice since it has more certs for anti-wear and deposits

The current fill is a 5W30 which will be sent off for an analysis. And I will do similarly for the next fill of one of these 0W30s

(I have another car that is much less demanding in terms of its oil requirements so whatever I dont use for the R can be used for it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back