Which of the top 3-4 company makes the 'most synthetic' oil?

sorry if this has been discussed tons of times but I am curious which of the top brand oils are considered the most synthetic as in are made of the higher quality oils?
i know in the end of the day, the final product matters more compared to what base oil was used etc etc, this is just for discussion sake

Lets say we are comparing the following: I will try my best to compare the apples to apple comparison. we will use 0w20 for discussion sake
Castrol Edge 0W20
Pennzoil Platinum 0W20
Mobil 0W20 synthetic normal grey bottle
Quaker State Full Syn 0W20

i am trying to ask which contain the most group 4 or group 5 oils because i assume they are contain mostly group 3 right?

So which would you say is more of a synthetic oil which would I believe also mean is technically the "higher quality" oil.

Last edited:
Mobil will likely have the most PAO (though less than in EP flavour) if that answers your question.
thanks because usually here where i live you can get these oils on sale within 1-2$ of each other. so that would technically mean the mobil 1 is giving you the most quality for $ then eh? because pao is obvs more expensive then the other oils

Out of the choices Mobil 1 might have the most PAO but as a 0w20 user myself I think Castrol Edge is the best 0w20 out of those choices. I have used all the other choices and have had one issue or another with oil consumption.

It all depends on what the meaning of most synthetic is.

Valvoline.

ahh gotcha i guess i am trying to say which has the most group 4 or group 5 because i assume they all contain similar amounts of group 3?
i think thats what im asking aha

ahh gotcha i guess i am trying to say which has the most group 4 or group 5 because i assume they all contain similar amounts of group 3?
i think thats what im asking aha
That question cannot be answered unless someone in the various companies decide to disclose their formulations and I seriously doubt anyone will disclosure their formulations.

That question cannot be answered unless someone in the various companies decide to disclose their formulations and I seriously doubt anyone will disclosure their formulations.
is it because some of these companies dont disclose it fully on the sds?

is it because some of these companies dont disclose it fully on the sds?
I thought we had fully explained in various threads the real purpose of a Safety Data Sheet.

The Primary purpose of the safety data sheet is disclose any potential health and toxicology affects due to handling and use of lubricants.

So let's get this cleared up now; neither an SDS NOR a Product Data Sheet (PDS) discloses anything close to the actual chemical formulation in any lubricant.

SDS's and PDF's for lubricants are not vitamin bottle labels. They do not have every piece of chemistry listed that is used in a finished lubricant, nor are they required to.

Last edited:
I thought we had fully explained in various threads the real purpose of a Safety Data Sheet.

The Primary purpose of the safety data sheet is disclose any potential health and toxicology affects due to handling and use of lubricants.

So let's get this cleared up now; neither an SDS NOR a Product Data Sheet (PDS) discloses anything close to the actual chemical formulation in any lubricant.

SDS's and PDF's for lubricants are not vitamin bottle labels. They do not have every piece of chemistry listed that is used in a finished lubricant, nor are they required to.
Exactly, the percentages listed on the SDS are fabricated and are no indication of the percentages actually in the formulation. They are only required to list hazardous materials not the actual amount.

sorry if this has been discussed tons of times but I am curious which of the top brand oils are considered the most synthetic as in are made of the higher quality oils?
i know in the end of the day, the final product matters more compared to what base oil was used etc etc, this is just for discussion sake

Lets say we are comparing the following: I will try my best to compare the apples to apple comparison. we will use 0w20 for discussion sake
Castrol Edge 0W20
Pennzoil Platinum 0W20
Mobil 0W20 synthetic normal grey bottle
Quaker State Full Syn 0W20

i am trying to ask which contain the most group 4 or group 5 oils because i assume they are contain mostly group 3 right?

So which would you say is more of a synthetic oil which would I believe also mean is technically the "higher quality" oil.
If you want the highest amount of group 4 or 5, go with Amsoil SS or Redline

Exactly, the percentages listed on the SDS are fabricated and are no indication of the percentages actually in the formulation. They are only required to list hazardous materials not the actual amount.
As someone who used to write SDS (then MSDS) for a living, the percentages listed are not "fabricated" unless one wishes to open themselves to a wrongful death lawsuit. They are indeed an indication of the percentages actually in the formulation. Usually when people post this type of thing it's because they imagine some blender uses more of "X" or "Y" despite what the SDS says.

MolaKule is correct that it is not a chemical analysis however, and the SDS information is not intended for that use.

In Holland we always look at what the bottle says on german version of the bottle.
When a product says fully syntethic in Holland but says something like shc synthese or synthetic technoligy in germany we know enough.

Almost all mobil, castrol etc... is sold as shc syntese in germany.

If i am not mistaking you are not allowed to sell something under a false name under german law.

Ravenol, some liqui moly and some motul are listed as "volsyntetisch" which means fullt syntetic.

GTL is also considerd hydrocracked under german law although i think it is pretty synthetic.

As someone who used to write SDS (then MSDS) for a living, the percentages listed are not "fabricated" unless one wishes to open themselves to a wrongful death lawsuit. They are indeed an indication of the percentages actually in the formulation. Usually when people post this type of thing it's because they imagine some blender uses more of "X" or "Y" despite what the SDS says.

MolaKule is correct that it is not a chemical analysis however, and the SDS information is not intended for that use.
I respectfully disagree. Those percentages are no where near accurate. And you can’t be sued as long as the hazards are listed on the SDS. Nothing in law or practice requires disclosure of proprietary information.

I respectfully disagree. Those percentages are no where near accurate. And you can’t be sued as long as the hazards are listed on the SDS. Nothing in law or practice requires disclosure of proprietary information.
Well those are some unethical companies then, the corporation I worked for had accurate sheets showing correct percentages for listed compounds.

And I didn't say anything about proprietary information. I am well aware of how that part works.

Well those are some unethical companies then, the corporation I worked for had accurate sheets showing correct percentages for listed compounds.

And I didn't say anything about proprietary information. I am well aware of how that part works.
I’m not sure how unethical it is. They’re just following OSHA guidelines and using the Trade Secret Exemption. I’m sure there may be more volatile chemicals that require more disclosure on the SDS but motor oil isn’t one of them.

The percentages given are always ranges, not specific amounts, there is nothing proprietary being divulged in that process. If XOM says M1 EP 0w-20 SDS lists 50-70% PAO in it, that's a pretty broad fudge factor.

Back