Which Mobil1 Flows Better At 0 Degrees Fahrenheit

Status
Not open for further replies.
" At temperatures of 0F and lower, there is a marked deviation between measured and extrapolated viscosities at all rates of shear."

Good find Overkill.

Originally Posted By: TTK
" At temperatures of 0F and lower, there is a marked deviation between measured and extrapolated viscosities at all rates of shear."

Good find Overkill.

Thanks
smile.gif

If you open the paper and look at the graph it is very similar to what Shannow posted. The deviation starts at about 10F but really starts to tear away at 0F.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Thanks Shannow
thumbsup2.gif

That shows things start to go sideways at around -10C too
smile.gif

I would say around -15C. which is fairly close to 0F.

agree with the above.
If you go to the youtubes and find the videos for -20 or -40 pour tests. Even though they are testing all 5w-30 oils they all pour very differently.

Does it matter in a car? probably not.

If one has temperatures where one has to worry about pour point, one would be better served by paying attention to MRV first. I've seen a 15w-40 with a pour point in the -40 range. I wouldn't want to use in in -40, though, unless I started it about 25 degrees earlier.
wink.gif

+1

The Yacco Galaxie 15W50 I have in my stash is supposed to have a -46°C pour point. I know an oil can be very thick but still "flow", but I've always wondered how it is related to the W rating, how a 15W oil can have a -46°C pour point and a 0W20 like TGMO can have a -30° pour point only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back