Which Mobil oil do GM service departments use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious as to which Mobil oil does GM use in their service departments on Dexos vehicles? I'm just curious because I can barely justify to change my own oil on my 2011 Silverado 5.3 when the Chevy Dealer here does it for $39.95 for Dexos. I took it to the dealer for the first oil change and the reminder sticker says Mobil on it so I'm assuming it's Mobil 1? I might or might not be able to buy the 6 quarts and a decent filter for $39.95. Any thoughts? Thanks...

I imagine it varies from service department to service department, but I believe our local dealer uses AC Delco dexos oil. Semi-syn, I believe.

Last edited:
They darn well better be using AC Delco semi-synthetic 5w-30. There are a lot of turbo or DI GM cars that need the levels of protection the specification of dexos1 offers. Whether the supplier is Mobil is unknown, at least to me.

For $40 it's definitely not M1. It's definitely something else, most likely AC Delco dexos1 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: Krazymatt
the reminder sticker says Mobil on it so I'm assuming it's Mobil 1?

Just because they use Mobil stickers doesn't necessarily mean they use Mobil oil. If they only charge $40 for parts and labor, I seriously doubt that includes M1.

The "Dexos" bottles I've seen on the shelf sure have that XOM shape to them.

The AC Delco Dexos1 is definitely a Mobil product.
wink.gif

The local GM dealerships I've seen use Valvoline bulk in drums for every "level" of oil.

The Ford place uses Kendall. Toyota Pennzoil/Quaker state.

Whatever they get the best deal on.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
The local GM dealerships I've seen use Valvoline bulk in drums for every "level" of oil.

The Ford place uses Kendall. Toyota Pennzoil/Quaker state.

Whatever they get the best deal on.

Bill

+1
Many current API SN oils are claimed to meet Dexos 1, although most blenders choose not to pay GM's per quart license fee.
It shouldn't matter which of these brands any dealer decides to use.
The dealers are independent businesses and can use what they like.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Whatever dexos oil they use I cannot justify doing it myself for 40 bucks. I simply cannot buy the dexos approved oil and filter for that especially the price of oil headed for the sky lately.

Depends on the dealership. Around here it is either bulk Ac Delco dexos, pennzoil gold, or service pro semi syn...

The AC Delco "Dexos1" oil is the same as Mobil's "Super" Synthetic.

When GF-5 was introduced, the old Mobil Drive 7500 was dropped and became "Super Synthetic" in order for Mobil to align their products better with the competition, since nearly all of them are offering two tiers of synthetics.

That said, it is not unusual to find Super Synthetic (around here at least) at around $4 a quart. Therefore there's not tons of money saved by doing it yourself ($10?), but 15 minutes in my driveway, some change in my pocket, and the piece of mind in knowing that it is done RIGHT is a LOT better use of my time than the hassle of taking my vehicle to the dealer.

The real value comes with getting a *much* better oil for the same $40. Mobil1, Pennzoil Ultra, Castrol Edge and the like will promote longer change intervals and offer better protection.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
The AC Delco "Dexos1" oil is the same as Mobil's "Super" Synthetic.

When GF-5 was introduced, the old Mobil Drive 7500 was dropped and became "Super Synthetic" in order for Mobil to align their products better with the competition, since nearly all of them are offering two tiers of synthetics.

That said, it is not unusual to find Super Synthetic (around here at least) at around $4 a quart. Therefore there's not tons of money saved by doing it yourself ($10?), but 15 minutes in my driveway, some change in my pocket, and the piece of mind in knowing that it is done RIGHT is a LOT better use of my time than the hassle of taking my vehicle to the dealer.

The real value comes with getting a *much* better oil for the same $40. Mobil1, Pennzoil Ultra, Castrol Edge and the like will promote longer change intervals and offer better protection.

I hear ya on the peace of mind. I wouldnt save no 10$ though. Say I coyld get penzzoil platinum 5 qt jug for $25 at Wally world, then $6 for an additional qt. Then 6$ for a filter. Savings in $ would be m inimal but I would be getting better oil. I dont think penz. Ultra is on the dexos list though.

Originally Posted By: Krazymatt
I wouldnt save no 10$ though. Say I coyld get penzzoil platinum 5 qt jug for $25 at Wally world, then $6 for an additional qt. Then 6$ for a filter. Savings in $ would be m inimal but I would be getting better oil. I dont think penz. Ultra is on the dexos list though.

You're absolutely right; it's tough, if not impossible to compete with a lot of the oil change deals out there.

Most don't make money, and even operate at a loss when doing oil changes, but it helps get customers in where they are enticed into other more profitable services like fuel system "cleaning" and such. If nothing else, they become a loyal customer and come back when their alternator goes dead for example.

ask to see what they use. I know our the dealer I work at has Delco Dexos for 2011 up vehicles, Delco SN for 2010 and below, along with Mobil 1 SN. If it were me I would just stock the Dexos since it is backward compatible, but thats what we have.

i think the stealers are getting wise they lowered their prices on oil but try to sell you things you dont need i see it all the time being i am go to at least 1 dealer a day either buying parts or delivering them heads... i love when they come in and show the customer the cabin filter full of leaves and all sorts of things..HaHa i saw the same one at least twice! You cant blame them if they dont sell and make a profit they get fired.

Many dealers are not using the "official" GM dexos1 oils that are made by Mobil, they are instead opting for less expensive dexos1 certified oils from smaller blenders that have no advertising costs. A local GM dealer buys an average of 5 drums of Service Pro dexos1 from us every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back