Which mobil 1 for 19 versa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ekpolk
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Save money...vanilla Mobil1

A little OT, but, for some strange reason, the "vanilla", plain Mobil-1 line doesn't include a 0w-20. Go figure.

I think that's Advanced Fuel Economy. It's available at the same price point and what I see available at Costco.

Originally Posted by y_p_w

A little OT, but, for some strange reason, the "vanilla", plain Mobil-1 line doesn't include a 0w-20. Go figure.

I think that's Advanced Fuel Economy. It's available at the same price point and what I see available at Costco.

Check out this page on the Mobil-1 site. As you can see, there are fourteen varieties of Mobil-1, each coming in a different set of viscosity choices (a few are one vis only). The "plain" variety of Mobil-1, just Mobil-1 without any special qualifiers (extended, advanced, high-mileage, etc.) appears in the fourth position, second row. That's what I'm referring to. No 0w-20 there. That's strange to me, since it seems to be getting more and more widely used with every passing year.

Check out this page on the Mobil-1 site. As you can see, there are fourteen varieties of Mobil-1, each coming in a different set of viscosity choices (a few are one vis only). The "plain" variety of Mobil-1, just Mobil-1 without any special qualifiers (extended, advanced, high-mileage, etc.) appears in the fourth position, second row. That's what I'm referring to. No 0w-20 there. That's strange to me, since it seems to be getting more and more widely used with every passing year.

The oil that used to be in that position, along with its 0w-30 sibling were spun out of that product line and into their own under the "Advanced Fuel Economy" heading some time back.

I get that it's marketing, but I'm basing it on price points. I walk into a WM, look at the shelves, and there are basically four price points. Even if they call it "AFE", 0W-20 is a pretty common manufacturer's recommendation/requirement these days, and it costs no more than the 5W-30 version. The way I see it, the "plain vanilla" are the ones targeted for a manufacturer's recommended OCI in fairly recent cars. The price points do seem to merge to some degree, but there are at least 3 different price points.

These are what I consider "Plain Vanilla" at $25.47
0W-20 (AFE), 0W-30 (AFE), 0W-40 (European Car Formula), 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-...y-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/17034374
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-...y-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/17034369
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0W-40-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/23636902
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5W-20-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/17018132
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/17034372
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-10W-30-High-Mileage-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/17034353

The "regular" High Mileage is $25.47
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-High-Mileage-Motor-Oil-0W-20-5-qt/55502866

The Extended Performance is $28.68
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-Extended-Performance-0W-20-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/36019107

The Extended Performance High Mileage is still $28.68
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-Extended-Performance-High-Mileage-Formula-0W20-5-qt/709883484

And finally the Annual Protection at $25.84
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-Annual-Protection-0W20-5-qt/55502860

My commuter 2016 Versa 1.6L specs 5w30. I run 5w30 in the summer and 5w20 in the winter. It's a 12K car I would the cheapest oil and change at 5-6k intervals. Oh wait, that's what I do...

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
. . .
The oil that used to be in that position, along with its 0w-30 sibling were spun out of that product line and into their own under the "Advanced Fuel Economy" heading some time back.

No substantial disagreement here, now we're slicing and dicing semantics, at least in our positions (unless you're an E-M engineer and haven't told us!). In a sense, all the flavors are simply off-shoots of the original, "monolithic" M1. Then add to that the fact that they tinker and alter formulas frequently. I kinda long for the days when it was just Mobil-1 and you picked which vis worked for your application, and that was it. Now we get to let our heads spin as we try to sort through whether there are meaningful differences between this type or that of a particular viscosity. Will a Ford truck explode if you use "Advanced Fuel Economy" in it instead of "Truck & SUV"?
laugh.gif
And if you stop and think about it, don't pretty much ALL 0w-20 oils deserve to be called "Advanced Fuel Economy"?
smirk2.gif

EDIT: The logic of what you're saying is clearer to me now, especially since neither of the other AFE grades (0w-16 and 30) appear in the "plain" M1 line. If my hair were long enough, I'd be trying to pull it out now. . .

======================================
. . . The way I see it, the "plain vanilla" are the ones targeted for a manufacturer's recommended OCI in fairly recent cars. The price points do seem to merge to some degree, but there are at least 3 different price points.
. . .

I get what you're saying. Now, alas, we're even further into "clouded by semantics" territory. There's nothing in what you posted I can point to and say, "factually incorrect." That acknowledged, apart from a couple brief detours (like the seven years using my own overstock of green German Castrol...
smirk2.gif
), I've been using Mobil-1, one vis or another, since around 1985. Back then, of course, it was just "Mobil-1" with a couple viscosity choices. Then came the "racing" varieties. Then the floodgates opened. So in my eyes, "plain vanilla" M1 is the stuff without the added "qualifiers." The good news for all of us is that at least there aren't any bad choices in the bunch. I'd readily use one of the other M1 0w-20s or even one of the 5w-20 varieties, if it was OC time and my preference was not in stock.

Last edited:
. . . The way I see it, the "plain vanilla" are the ones targeted for a manufacturer's recommended OCI in fairly recent cars. The price points do seem to merge to some degree, but there are at least 3 different price points.
. . .

I get what you're saying. Now, alas, we're even further into "clouded by semantics" territory. There's nothing in what you posted I can point to and say, "factually incorrect." That acknowledged, apart from a couple brief detours (like the seven years using my own overstock of green German Castrol...
smirk2.gif
), I've been using Mobil-1, one vis or another, since around 1985. Back then, of course, it was just "Mobil-1" with a couple viscosity choices. Then came the "racing" varieties. Then the floodgates opened. So in my eyes, "plain vanilla" M1 is the stuff without the added "qualifiers." The good news for all of us is that at least there aren't any bad choices in the bunch. I'd readily use one of the other M1 0w-20s or even one of the 5w-20 varieties, if it was OC time and my preference was not in stock.

Well - I've been thinking of possibly getting a few cars. My wife wants a Forester, and that's of course 0W-20 like a lot of new cars sold in the US. If that was it I've been pretty loyal to Mobil 1 over the years, and even used it when people were telling me that Subaru turbos hated it. But if it's a 2.5 Forester then I'd be tempted to go with QS UD since it's at a good price point. I kind of like a Civic Si or (if my finances work out) at Civic Type R. In that case I'd think the EP 0W-20 might be a good choice just because I'm a bit paranoid using 0W-20 in a turbo. But I would still go with 0W-20.

I've never used a boutique motor oil though. Can't really see myself paying for Red Line or Amsoil just to dump it after a few thousand miles. I have used Red Line gear oil though, since that's a far different application where it might not even need to be changed for a while.

EDIT: The logic of what you're saying is clearer to me now, especially since neither of the other AFE grades (0w-16 and 30) appear in the "plain" M1 line. If my hair were long enough, I'd be trying to pull it out now. . .

lol.gif

Yes, there was originally an M1 0w-20 (can't recall if the 0w-30 existed at that juncture or not) which was then re-labelled (the product remained unchanged) with "Advanced Fuel Economy". I think it was an attempt by Mobil to garner more 0w-xx sales by giving the product group its own identity that catered to that audience.

lol.gif

Yes, there was originally an M1 0w-20 (can't recall if the 0w-30 existed at that juncture or not) which was then re-labelled (the product remained unchanged) with "Advanced Fuel Economy". I think it was an attempt by Mobil to garner more 0w-xx sales by giving the product group its own identity that catered to that audience.

Mobil has always marketed some oils differently. The original 0W-30 was marketed as "Extreme Formula" when it came out in 1996.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Mobi...ula+0W-30+Synthetic+Motor+Oil-a018833822

Mobil Corp. (NYSE: MOB) today announced the addition of Mobil 1 Extreme Formula 0W-30 to its line of Mobil 1 fully synthetic motor oils. The new lower viscosity formulation will provide superior engine protection versus conventional motor oils at temperatures ranging from 400 degrees F to 50 degrees F below zero.

. . .

Yes, there actually was a "plain" 0w-30, and I can pin down the date! I used one fill of it in my 2003.5 Camry in the winter of 03-04. I had been sent up to Quantico (half of Headquarters Marine Corps is located there, vs the rest in DC) for several weeks of TAD (temporary duty), on short notice. I got up there almost 1k miles overdue for a change, and found this strange 0w-30 stuff. It was terribly, terribly cold, so I decided to try it (so cold i took it to a QC place instead of going to the base auto hobby shop!). I can still see it in my mind's eye -- 5w-30 had the blue label stripe, green for 10w-30, and this stuff had a "steel gray" color several shades darker than the rest of the gray on the bottle. Wow, someone tell my wife -- my memory still works!
laugh.gif

. . .

Yes, there actually was a "plain" 0w-30, and I can pin down the date! I used one fill of it in my 2003.5 Camry in the winter of 03-04. I had been sent up to Quantico (half of Headquarters Marine Corps is located there, vs the rest in DC) for several weeks of TAD (temporary duty), on short notice. I got up there almost 1k miles overdue for a change, and found this strange 0w-30 stuff. It was terribly, terribly cold, so I decided to try it (so cold i took it to a QC place instead of going to the base auto hobby shop!). I can still see it in my mind's eye -- 5w-30 had the blue label stripe, green for 10w-30, and this stuff had a "steel gray" color several shades darker than the rest of the gray on the bottle. Wow, someone tell my wife -- my memory still works!
laugh.gif

Yes! that's the stuff! I remember it too. The 0w-20 looked kinda like the 5w-20 bottle except I think the stripe was black?

OCI is scheduled every 5k miles. So I'll be following that for any possible warranty issues.

Been using AFE 0w-20 in my wife's '17 sentra and it seems to be doing great. But I'm unsure what the internals of the engine looks like.

Guess for $2-3 more, I'll use EP.

Originally Posted by jahwarrior1423
OCI is scheduled every 5k miles. So I'll be following that for any possible warranty issues.

Been using AFE 0w-20 in my wife's '17 sentra and it seems to be doing great. But I'm unsure what the internals of the engine looks like.

Guess for $2-3 more, I'll use EP.

It seemed kind of strange until I looked it up. They're recommending 5000 mile OCIs under all conditions? Even when 0W-20 is required?

I remember helping my parents with oil changes on their 2008 Rogue. I looked up the intervals, and the service schedules had more of a traditional 3750 mile severe (Schedule 1) or 7500 mile (Schedule 2) interval for oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back