Which mobil 1 for 19 versa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a '19 nissan versa to start using as a commuter. My concern is engine oil life...

I'm concerned about its not so large oil capacity that my engine oil will degrade much faster. Its calls for less than 4qts. When driving on the highway, it runs at about 3,200 rpms at 65-75mph. Which makes me think my oil will degrade at a faster rate. But again, I could be wrong.

Spec calls for 0w-20 GF-5.

Im trying to decide if I want to use Mobil 1 annual, extended or advance fuel...all say it meets GF-5 rating.

My wifes car is a '17 nissan sentra and we have been running 0w-20 mobil 1 advance fuel and Blackstone's oil analysis says at the change interval we have been doing that the TBN is looking good and they recommended we go longer between changes.

I see a lot of videos on YouTube of this Mobil 1 annual and it is showing almost no wear on the internals. But these videos are also being shown by mobil 1 youtube channel.

I'll be doing my oil changes at the recommended change intervals due to warranty.

For that car the AFE should be fine. If had a car that called for 0W-20 and had a turbo I'd think maybe the EP, but I doubt that a 2017 Versa is hard on oil. I'm thinking you could probably get away with a 5W-20 if you just changed it often enough.

The AFE is a excellent choice as would be any of the Mobil 1 oils that meet the specs for your new Versa.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The AFE is a excellent choice as would be any of the Mobil 1 oils that meet the specs for your new Versa.

Somebody recently posted a chart that showed that AFE actually has more PAO than EP or AP.....I really wonder what the difference is except for price?

PS: I saw the chart on Saturday but can't find it now. At any rate, AFE should be fine and save you a few dollars too...

I concur that they'd all be great choices. That said, I'd use the EP. Of the three, EP and AP both claim to allow longer use intervals, but EP costs a good bit less than AP (but doesn't last as long, of course). My thinking on this, and it's part of why I'm switching the Prius to EP at the next change, is that if for some reason I have to go longer than the 5k I plan to use the oil, I'll presumably have more "over-run" margin. It's all the more attractive since the price difference between EP and AFE is negligible. But again, they're all do just fine. Pick whichever one matches your requirements and preferences!

Oh yeah, in my last Prius, I tried a fill of AFE 0w-30 instead of the EP 5w-30 I had been using. I saw moderate consumption that didn't happen with the EP, and noticed no detectable change in fuel economy. For what it's worth. Go figure.

So last I saw it was around 30 for AFE and 60-70 for the long OCI stuff … in M1 0w20

You will see the same wear with any of the M1 oil selection. The differences will be noted in the oil change intervals.

Originally Posted by pbm

Somebody recently posted a chart that showed that AFE actually has more PAO than EP or AP.....I really wonder what the difference is except for price?

PS: I saw the chart on Saturday but can't find it now. At any rate, AFE should be fine and save you a few dollars too...

I think you have that backwards. EP/AP have the same amount of PAO (~70%) whilst AFE is a bit less.

Originally Posted by pbm

I think that is backwards. If I recall correctly, AFE has around 30% along with GTL and other base 3 oils. EP is around 70%. The formulations vary among grades.

There was a recent post here somewhere of a member who had ran something like 270,000 miles with AFE. I'm sure Tig1 will chime in here with his success on M1 oils.

My wife's car oil analysis has been looking great according to Blackstone. But her car only has 32k on it thus far. Still has wear metals being detected.

My only concern is the smaller engine in the versa and it's lesser oil capacity. 5th gear going 65-75 was above 3k rpm.

Ive only priced out the Annual and the AFE. The annual is $10 more than the AFE. Which isn't too bad but still $10 that can go towards a oil filter or gas.

Originally Posted by jahwarrior1423
... My only concern is the smaller engine in the versa and it's lesser oil capacity. 5th gear going 65-75 was above 3k rpm. ...
Not really "lesser capacity" by any reasonable measure. Proportionate to cylinder swept area of the engine, that's larger oil capacity than that of the average car. It's also larger than many proportionate to fuel burned. Both my previous two cars had less than 4 quarts oil capacity.

That stupid 5th-gear overall ratio is a primary reason I didn't buy a Versa Note when I was car-shopping 4½ years ago.

Originally Posted by CR94
Both my previous two cars had less than 4 quarts oil capacity.

Total capacity or change amount? I'm thinking of my wife's Civic, which is 4.4 quarts total capacity in the specifications, but where the change amount is listed as 3.4 quarts with a new filter and 3.2 quarts without. And I've done oil changes with the previous filter remaining and didn't worry about it. I hate lifting up the car to do an an oil change. All I have are ramps and I'd rather not use them.

4 quarts is a reasonable capacity for a small 4 cylinder engine, remember there are v8 engines that only hold 5.
I see you live in AZ, in a warm climate like that, I would be tempted to run a 5w30 over t h e 0w20. Check the owners manual and see if a 5w30 is allowed.

4 quarts isn't too bad. I remember there were some older Nissans that had 2.5 quart capacity.

It's a manual, right? And do you plan on keeping it or is it a lease?

We have a leased nissan. It gets the cheapest oil and filter possible.

Is that a versa note or regular versa?

Use the big Fram for the Titan./Armada V8 or a Honda filter. Fram TG7317

Mine had a bad engine knock and they took it back and I got a Rogue. A bunch of us BITOG here lost engines a few years ago.

Hopefully Nissan has that sorted out.

The Ford Fiesta is the best driving / handling small car in this segment. Reliability would be a toss up between Nissan and Ford,

Good luck. BTW that engine was using 5w30 in 2014. Back then it had dual port injection.

Originally Posted by jahwarrior1423
My wife's car oil analysis has been looking great according to Blackstone. But her car only has 32k on it thus far. Still has wear metals being detected.

My only concern is the smaller engine in the versa and it's lesser oil capacity. 5th gear going 65-75 was above 3k rpm.

Ive only priced out the Annual and the AFE. The annual is $10 more than the AFE. Which isn't too bad but still $10 that can go towards a oil filter or gas.

Only a UOA would help you determine an oil's life expectancy. If your vehicle is turbo and/or direct inject, do yourself a favor by changing the oil every 5K.

Also, we can't help you without more info. After-all, you never even mentioned what the owners manual states for OCIs. You want to stick with the OCI length it recommends, but why are you not telling us that number?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back