Which M1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daily driver is a Volvo XC90 w/2.5 Turbo motor. This 5 Cyl motor is hauling around a lot of vehicle, and tows the boat on occasion, so I do try to get a really good oil in there.

So far, I have used GC 0W30 and M1 0W40. I made a couple of stops today, but could not find either product. What is the next bestm easily available choice for an OCI of 5K to 7.5K? M1 5W30 TSUV, M1 5W40 TDT? Other brands?

Last edited:
5w-40 would be my pick. Either of the oils you listed that youve used are robust and will last... Id probably just wait another week or so to get those again.

Delvac 1 same oil as M1 5W40 TDT just different container.
most truck shops/stops/service centers carry it.
try your local Autozone that is located in a commercial trucking area, they stock what the truckers want.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
5w-40 would be my pick. Either of the oils you listed that youve used are robust and will last... Id probably just wait another week or so to get those again.

+1
thumbsup2.gif
Good advice...

5w40 TDT or the two that you've been using, unless you want to go with a more exotic "boutique oil (Redline, Amsoil, etc.)

Also, BMW 5w30 (made by Castrol) is a fantastic oil, and IIRC is pretty cheap at most BMW dealers.

Originally Posted By: Steelhead
try your local Autozone that is located in a commercial trucking area, they stock what the truckers want.

Two different formulations per Mobil. From their question and answer site.

Question:
Explain the Differences Between the Diesel Motor Oils
I noticed on your web site that the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is rated CJ-4. I currently use Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40, which is also rated CJ-4 in my 2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax Diesel. Are these two similar? What's the difference?
-- Alikhan xxxxx, Sherwood, AR

Answer:
Both products have different formulations and both exceed API CJ-4 requirements. Either product, however, can be used in your particular engine. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is specifically formulated to provide outstanding protection to light-duty diesel-powered passenger vehicles. It also exceeds the requirements of API SM classification for gasoline engines. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 has been especially formulated for use in all super high performance diesel applications, and has engine builder approvals for the following:

• Cummins CES 20081
• Detroit Diesel Power Guard Oil Specification 93K218, 93K214
• Mack EO-O Premium Plus, EO-N Premium Plus 03
• Mercedes Benz 228.31, 228.3
• Volvo VDS-4, VDS-3, VDS-2
• Deutz DQC III-05

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: Steelhead

Two different formulations per Mobil. From their question and answer site.

Question:
Explain the Differences Between the Diesel Motor Oils
I noticed on your web site that the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is rated CJ-4. I currently use Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40, which is also rated CJ-4 in my 2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax Diesel. Are these two similar? What's the difference?
-- Alikhan xxxxx, Sherwood, AR

Answer:
Both products have different formulations and both exceed API CJ-4 requirements. Either product, however, can be used in your particular engine. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is specifically formulated to provide outstanding protection to light-duty diesel-powered passenger vehicles. It also exceeds the requirements of API SM classification for gasoline engines. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 has been especially formulated for use in all super high performance diesel applications, and has engine builder approvals for the following:

• Cummins CES 20081
• Detroit Diesel Power Guard Oil Specification 93K218, 93K214
• Mack EO-O Premium Plus, EO-N Premium Plus 03
• Mercedes Benz 228.31, 228.3
• Volvo VDS-4, VDS-3, VDS-2
• Deutz DQC III-05

Yup, was the CI-4 versions that were identical. I stocked up on it.

Originally Posted By: DockHoliday
My daily driver is a Volvo XC90 w/2.5 Turbo motor. This 5 Cyl motor is hauling around a lot of vehicle, and tows the boat on occasion, so I do try to get a really good oil in there.

So far, I have used GC 0W30 and M1 0W40. I made a couple of stops today, but could not find either product. What is the next bestm easily available choice for an OCI of 5K to 7.5K? M1 5W30 TSUV, M1 5W40 TDT? Other brands?

Did you try Walmart (or is that not allowed?). Might need to get there early in day, especially on a weekend. Walmart sells a lot of oil, particularly M1, on weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back