Which John Deere Hy-Gard Fluid In My X370 Riding Mower

I just Purchased a new John Deere X370 Riding Mower, anyways it recommends using the JD (J20D Low Viscosity Fluid) in it, which is a Fluid designed for more Northern Climates, But since I live in Florida where the average day time Mowing Temperatures are in the High 90+ in the Summer months, would I be better off using the thicker (Higher Viscosity J20C) in my mower instead ?, Or can I mix the J20C and the J20D to get the benefits of both Viscosity's, or should I just stick with what they recommend in the Service Manual and use the straight J20D.

Where did you get this information that the hy-gard low viscosity is only for northern climates?

the low viscosity is similar to ISO 32 while the regular is considerably thicker.

It might be just me, but I see where it says "use only Low Viscosity HY-GARD... in all operating temperatures"... and "Do not mix transmission oils".

1659918120332.png

You can buy a synthetic that meets both J20C & D. Your 726CC Kawasaki engine takes a common Ford/Toyota oil filter, 15w40 seems to be the
grade most people use.
Most of the 200s 300s, 500s and 700s are sold out in Canada.

I would use the j20c. I have a jd 330 garden tractor and i also live in ny. The dealer told me to use j20d and that’s what i used for years until i though huh i only use the tractor in the summer and it’s always 80-100f out. Then one day i measured the temperature of the differential with an ir gun and it read 300f. I then decided to switch to j20c and haven’t looked back. Using the j20c really quieter down the hydrostatic transmission and is much better for the heat i use it in.

I would use the j20c. I have a jd 330 garden tractor and i also live in ny. The dealer told me to use j20d and that’s what i used for years until i though huh i only use the tractor in the summer and it’s always 80-100f out. Then one day i measured the temperature of the differential with an ir gun and it read 300f. I then decided to switch to j20c and haven’t looked back. Using the j20c really quieter down the hydrostatic transmission and is much better for the heat i use it in.
That's what I was thinking, from what I have read the J20 is a Lighter Weight 10w-30 oil that is more or less designed for the Cooler Northern Climates, But the J20C is a heaver weight, which should be a better pick for my Hot Southern Region, and even your area if you do most of your mowing in Hot Weather.

That's what I was thinking, from what I have read the J20 is a Lighter Weight 10w-30 oil that is more or less designed for the Cooler Northern Climates, But the J20C is a heaver weight, which should be a better pick for my Hot Southern Region, and even your area if you do most of your mowing in Hot Weather.
LV fluid has nothing to do with ambient temp.

Just follow the manual. You’ll be good.

Does the THF on the 330 and X370 just operate the power steering and deck lift hydraulics, or is it intregrated with the transmission fluid?

Back