Which is the best way to check the oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey i heard its best to check the oil when say the next day after the car has sat for hours that way all the oil has drained back into the pan and u get a perfect reading instead of when your driving the car and turn it off and wait a few minutes?

Which is the best way to check the oil?

My idea of perfect is after it sat all night. Check it before starting in the morning. Parked on level surface.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
My idea of perfect is after it sat all night. Check it before starting in the morning. Parked on level surface.

That seems to work best for me too.

Originally Posted By: boostedtsiawd

Which is the best way to check the oil?

The best way is the one outlined in your owner's manual.

Whatever you do, just be consistent in your approach.

Same here. ^^^^

Exactly how i been doing it but since oil gets thicker in the cold wouldnt it show a false reading if checked cold in winter time since the oil thickens? I use 5w30.

Cold, first thing in the morning.

Quote:
since oil gets thicker in the cold wouldnt it show a false reading if checked cold in winter time since the oil thickens? I use 5w30.

No. It all drains back down.

Quote:

Have been doing this since I started driving.

+1

Me too

Have been doing this since I started driving.

Originally Posted By: boostedtsiawd
but since oil gets thicker in the cold wouldnt it show a false reading if checked cold in winter time since the oil thickens? I use 5w30.

The difference would be immeasurable.

I prefer either checked cold after an all night sit, or checked piping hot after sitting 5-10 minutes. Both seem to give me good reads.

A perfect way would be to send it off to a lab with a temperature controlled room. They would drain the oil for a set amount of time, each and every time. Then they would weigh the oil on a calibrated scale since weight is much more accurate than volume.
wink.gif

My Ford manual says to let it sit 5 minutes after shut down on a flat surface at full operating temp before checking the oil. That's what I guess they determined was the best way so that's good enough for me.

For most cars, checking long after shutdown is best because, as mentioned, all the oil has drained back.

In practice though, >>90% of the oil will be drained back after 4-5 minutes so that's good enough. You can't tell the level that accurately with a dipstick anyway.

Consistency is the key.
Hot vs. cold makes a difference.
5 minutes is enough for a good check with a hot engine, but it will read higher than in the morning when cold.

After a short run with a cold engine, then checking immediately is probably the worst way.

Originally Posted By: legacyguy
if ur diptick curves or twists etc u might want to pull out for at least 5 min before doing it

That's what she said...

This is one of the cases where, yep, the car's owners manual is the best advice to follow.

Especially true as well when checking automatic transmission fluid level, as the methods can vary greatly.

Originally Posted By: KeMBro2012
Originally Posted By: legacyguy
if ur diptick curves or twists etc u might want to pull out for at least 5 min before doing it

That's what she said...

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back