Which is better PP or M1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let the bashing begin.
35.gif

Depends on your application IMO.

Both are very good oils and I would use both with the same confidence.

I can see this thread being locked shortly!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Depends on your application IMO.

Both are very good oils and I would use both with the same confidence.

I can see this thread being locked shortly!
grin2.gif

Well I from what I have learned on this forum; PP is a GP-III base but performs very well. M-1 is possibly mostly GP-IV and is also a good oil (as I have used it for years myself).

I am trying to figure out why anyone would want to use a less base stock synthetic to save a few bucks. Is PP almost as good or as good an oil as M-1 if cost is not considered?

Let us say the application is 5-6k intervals of 50/50 mixed driving in 20*-100* weather with no towing in a 5w20 or 5w30 in a modern OHC 4 or 6 cyl engine?

Last edited:
PP performs better for me in the above scenario(except this is with an 8 cylinder and the temperatures can get down to zero and up over 100)

From what I've read here, PP is AT LEAST as good as M1 for most applications. Since I have problems with XOM's business practices, and choose not to give them any more of my money, I use PP and sleep very well at night.

Disclaimer: please do not construe my comments above as M1-bashing. M1 is a very good oil; it's the parent company I have issues with.

You may have better results with PP over M1 or M1 over PP. Each oil has it's own unique additive package and characteristics.

There is no one best oil for all situations, nor does the base stock (or fancy marketing) make one better over the other.

You will have to try for yourself!
wink.gif

The best oil is the one that produces lower wear rates via UOA for YOUR engine and YOUR use profile.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Depends if you value the Iron in your engine or not.
I see a fight coming!
07.gif

35.gif
I got my seat!

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Let us say the application is 5-6k intervals of 50/50 mixed driving in 20*-100* weather with no towing in a 5w20 or 5w30 in a modern OHC 4 or 6 cyl engine?

I'd have to go with PP in that scenario.
24.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

I'd have to go with PP in that scenario.
24.gif

what about 5w20 vs 5w30? If we are talking synthetic, could you get better protection from a 5w30 oil over the 5w20?

2.4L Jeep Comapass
3.7L Jeep Liberty
3.6L Pontiac VVT (I think this one specs 5w30 anyway)

Last edited:

I am trying to figure out why anyone would want to use a less base stock synthetic to save a few bucks. Is PP almost as good or as good an oil as M-1 if cost is not considered?

When was the last time a GIII oiled engine failed? Or GIV for that matter?

Brake cleaner will dissolve the ink on both of their labels with equal ease. However, Amsoil's ink is not dissolved by brake cleaner. Therefore, PP and Mobil 1 are equally bad oils, and Amsoil is superior to both of them.

Also:

1. High iron
2. Group III
3. Poor marketing tactics

what about 5w20 vs 5w30? If we are talking synthetic, could you get better protection from a 5w30 oil over the 5w20?

2.4L Jeep Comapass
3.7L Jeep Liberty
3.6L Pontiac VVT (I think this one specs 5w30 anyway)

I'd try both weights, see which one the engine seems to prefer and stick with that. Or if in doubt, go by manufacturer recommendation.

Originally Posted By: brian12

Why do people keep asking subjective, stupid questions like this? It's getting annoying.
It's probably XOM and their spies... They have people posting stupid things to see what the general consensus is on BITOG.
27.gif

LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Brake cleaner will dissolve the ink on both of their labels with equal ease. However, Amsoil's ink is not dissolved by brake cleaner. Therefore, PP and Mobil 1 are equally bad oils, and Amsoil is superior to both of them. ...

LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back