Which is better mini split a/c, seer 19 for $ 590 installed or seer 42 for $ 1290 installed?

20210825_071226.jpg

Always remember that the absurd SEER ratings claimed by some manufacturers are "as high as". Careful reading of honest specs will always indicate SEER/EER numbers that are quite inline with today's normal high efficiency AC units. As always, there is no free lunch.

I use a Panasonic 26 SEER mini split in my PA house. Yet my summer electric bill is exactly the same as the old 10 SEER window units, at $130 per month. I'm not there a lot, but the unit remains on 72 degrees all summer.

Conclusion: Despite the high SEER claims, the unit works hard to overcome hot days, and the electric bill remains unchanged. The time when it's not working hard, such as when it's cooler out (and could possibly achieve it's rating) is minimal, as the temps swing down into the 60's at night pretty regularly, and what ever AC was on simply turns off.

Note: the EER rating is "as high as" 14!

Note 2: You may notice that the higher output units have lower SEER numbers. Real work requires real power.

Last edited:
At first there was EER, which was a test at a single severe operating condition (outdoor temperature 110F I think). This was replaced with SEER, which is some sort of average efficiency over different outdoor temperatures possible during a season (but none higher than the old EER test). Of course this produced higher numbers and plenty of opportunity to fudge the results.

At first there was EER, which was a test at a single severe operating condition (outdoor temperature 110F I think). This was replaced with SEER, which is some sort of average efficiency over different outdoor temperatures possible during a season (but none higher than the old EER test). Of course this produced higher numbers and plenty of opportunity to fudge the results.
EER ratings are still quoted for many devices if you dig deeper into the specifications. It's a better way to choose a unit because it's a rating at 95F.

Back