Which inexpensive oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like to say this board is full of info!! Now to my question.... I have a 3.1 chevy V6 that has always used oil since brand spankin new. Currently at 45,000 miles it uses 1qt/1000 miles with Mobil 1 10W-30 and the same with Mobil Drive clean. I have since been adding Mobil 0W-40 to top off the dipstick and I have noticed a decrease in consuption. When I do take long highway trips(500+ Miles long) I have to add maybe 2 quarts to keep it at full level. I would rather find a dino oil(cheaper than Mobil 1) that will help cut my consumption rate since I change my oil every 3,000 miles no matter what. I have heard good things about cheveron supreme(VERY CHEAP). What do you guys suggest??

Try the maxlife 10W-30, my oil consumption in my brand new 3.8L Camaro went away with it and it seems to simply run better on it.

To cut consumption, definitely go with one of the high mileage oils, like Dominic suggested, Maxlife or GTX HM or Pennzoil HM. I like the last two since they've got moly but Maxlife does not. Although Maxlife does hold it's viscosity and TBN very well (not sure of the other two until we see more oil analysis reports)

I would try Devac 1300 15W40 and Rotella T 15W40. You can get them both at Walmart for under $6 a gallon. They should slow your consumption problem. I run 15W40 and 20W50 weight dino oils in the warm months in my 1997 Buick Lasber and synthetic 10W30 or 15W40 in the winter. I have 109,000 miles on it and it does not burn any oil at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back