Which hot dog is the best? Blind taste test

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Really enjoyed this video as I love hot dogs. The guy in the video looks and sounds like Bill Orielly.

Hebrew National
Nathans #3
Oscar Meyer
Boars Head
Sailance #2
Sabarett #1
Ball Park

For the record- my favorite is Nathan's. I am not a fan of Hebrew National dogs, and surprised Boars Head did not rank in the top three (I have never tried a Boars Head dog). This test appears to be east coast heavy, I know other dogs like Vienna and Usingers are considered darn good dogs.

Last edited:
Second video:

#3 beltmanns
#2 Wal Mart WOW
#1 Sabrett

I have never had a Sabrett, but will be on the lookout for that brand. If I can't find Sabrett, guess Wal-mart is a decent second choice :unsure:

For grocery store..
Kahn's all beef
Giant Eagle all beef
Nathans or hebrew national
ballpark angus.

Some of the most "deli like" werent the best to me.

Also I like the no nitrate/nitride versions if possible.

This might be a regional brand, but they’re very good hotdogs. I remember when I was small they used to make red hotdogs too, but I guess red food dye is not good for you, same with red pistachios, so they discontinued them.
6AD14543-BFE5-4398-842C-6BA352147854.jpeg

I'm not a hotdog aficionado by any means and do not buy or cook hotdogs at home but when I want to scarf down a wiener, it's Costco. Good dog and bun with a fountain drink, a $1.50 lunch is well worth it after spending $300 on groceries and impulse buys.

Costco Hot Dog.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a hotdog aficionado by any means and do not buy or cook hotdogs but when I want to scarf down a wiener it's Costco. Good dog and bun with a fountain drink, a $1.50 lunch is well worth it after spending $300 on groceries and impulse buys.

View attachment 108107
Great price, likely a great dog- but COSTCO dogs are jumbo dogs, I prefer the skinny dogs. Good thing COSTCO dogs are jumbo, because at $1.50 with a soft drink; if their dogs were skinny, I would be buying COSTCO dogs on a regular basis.

Really enjoyed this video as I love hot dogs. The guy in the video looks and sounds like Bill Orielly.

Hebrew National
Nathans #3
Oscar Meyer
Boars Head
Sailance #2
Sabarett #1
Ball Park

For the record- my favorite is Nathan's. I am not a fan of Hebrew National dogs, and surprised Boars Head did not rank in the top three (I have never tried a Boars Head dog). This test appears to be east coast heavy, I know other dogs like Vienna and Usingers are considered darn good dogs.

NOT "Sailance" #2 but Sahlen's! :mad::mad::mad: Excellent hotdogs although I am a homer and am pleased that they came in second. They make very good, consistent meat products for delis as well as dogs and were very locally popular but virtually unknown outside the region until the rise of Wegmans as a regional supermarket chain that originated in Rochester, NY. It's been a long time since I had a Sabrett but I like Nathans as well. To truly enjoy Sahlen's you need either Weber's Mustard or Ted's sauce!

Reactions: GON
We bought some Hebrew National from Sam’s Club awhile back and they were really disappointing. Nothing like I remember from 10-20 years ago. Nothing from the supermarket seems to be very good anymore, they’re all skinless. Why is it so hard to get dogs in a casing these days? Does Nathan’s now sell skinless at their hotdog stands? What about street vendors?
We are lucky to get Casper’s at Costco every couple of years and one time they had Feltman’s. Those were excellent.

Reactions: GON
@GON , check out the Fred Meyers or Safeway for these.

Hills Meats Frankfurters. Made in Pendleton Oregon. Traditional casing. Excellent flavor.

Their other products are also excellent.

Back