which has the better ad. pack M1 EP or PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently switched from Pennzoil Platnum 5w-30 to Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 and I was wondering which oil is better and how do their additive packs stand up to each other

We have a virgin oil analysis area on the board.

Youre probably not going to like it but i went the other way. I am biased.I like PP for the price. I used nothing but M1 in my neon, then went to PP when I increased my oil capacity.

My thoughts on the subject is if PP is within 15% levels on anything of the M1EP then it's the better buy as it's cheaper than 15% of the M1EP. This is taking into consideration that a user of PP and M1 are changing their oil before levels are low on a printout anyway. If both were the same price point I'd go for M1. One can buy an extra quart of PP and a supertech filter at wal-mart...and top off with a fresh quart of oil for the same price of that M1 jug. A quart of fresh oil deep into an OCI has got to beat the M1EP on a used oil printout (not stating this on science, its how my brain works things out and justifies doing things like this)

Originally Posted By: crazycrak
I recently switched from Pennzoil Platnum 5w-30 to Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 and I was wondering which oil is better and how do their additive packs stand up to each other

You cannot really compare the add packs since their base stocks are quite a bit different. PP is basically a Group III oil, with some small amounts of Group IV. M1 EP has substantial amounts of Group IV in its base stock (probably 30-50%) so it doesn't need the same additives that Group III needs.

Either oil will work fine in the applications they are suited for, but since M1 EP is specifically formulated for extended drain intervals, it should last longer than PP or regular M1.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Either oil will work fine in the applications they are suited for, but since M1 EP is specifically formulated for extended drain intervals, it should last longer than PP or regular M1.

+1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1385944&fpart=1

I would give the edge to PP. But base oil does matter too.

Mark888: Where did you get your base oil info? It is proprietary info.........
54.gif

Last edited:
My experience with the PP 5w-30, it lasts longer than M1 0w-30 or 5w-30 A1 version, the startup chatter noise only start after 8.5k comapred to 7.5k of typical M1. The M1 EP still does not exhibit noise until 10k when I change to SSO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back