Which "Full Synthetic" oils are Group 4 PAO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
More specifically, which readily available, off the shelf oils that you would buy at Walmart or the auto parts stores are actually Group IV PAO Full Synthetics?

I found some older threads that sort of contradict each other, and I've noticed lots of oils have changed packaging, names, and possibly formulations pretty recently.

Regardless, I will likely continue using Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra in my Focus, as they meed the SN, GF-5, Ford, and Honda/Acura Turbo ratings and I can find it easily and inexpensively local to me.

I'm mainly just curious which oils actually are true Group IV currently, with the current names/bottles/formulas as of Spring 2018.

You will not find one oil on the market that is 100% group IV simply because some group II+, III or group V oil is needed for additive solubility. Closest you will find to that magic all group IV you seek will be something like Amsoil Signature Series or one of the European/German-manufactured oils that say Vollsyntetisch, and not Technosythese. For cost savings without much performance hit, most majors are using group III majority base oils with whatever additives are needed make the required spec. You would probably find some syn oils sold in Canada with higher percentages of group IV/PAO due to the need for best in class cold cranking ability. I'm guessing, but probably the oils labeled for longer oil change intervals such as M1 EP and M1 1year/20k mile oil probably have higher amounts of PAO than their less expensive blends such as regular M1.

The only one I knew of was the Royal Purple Synerlec oil,which they themselves told me was a pao base with a dash of grp II as a carrier. I liked the fact they didn't give me that "It's proprietary" b.s.,they actually gave me a straight answer. I wonder if the HPS and XPR oils are carrying that same formula?

Smitty's synthetic blend is 10% PAO
27.gif

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Any over the counter oil is at least 10% Pao because it has to last at least 5k ocis.

You failed to mention synthetic. So you're saying conventional has 10% PAO?

Mobil 1 Extended 15,000 Mile has a significant amount of Group IV PAO and can be bought from WM .

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The only one I knew of was the Royal Purple Synerlec oil,which they themselves told me was a pao base with a dash of grp II as a carrier. I liked the fact they didn't give me that "It's proprietary" b.s.,they actually gave me a straight answer. I wonder if the HPS and XPR oils are carrying that same formula?

When was this? Recently? I had inquired about the composition of their base oils for the HPS and XPR line about 2 years ago and was told it was proprietary information.

Originally Posted By: deven

When was this? Recently? I had inquired about the composition of their base oils for the HPS and XPR line about 2 years ago and was told it was proprietary information.

Gosh it was probably 10 years ago,long before the Calumet buy out.

Any over the counter oil is at least 10% Pao because it has to last at least 5k ocis.

Not True. total nonsense

None are.

BMW tech guy nailed it.

The Mobil 1 15K and "annual protection" probably have the highest % of anything you see at walmart.

Amsoil sig series probably a bit more.

UD

Originally Posted By: deven

Gosh it was probably 10 years ago,long before the Calumet buy out.

Ya, sadly they will not tell you that information anymore. I suspect it has to do with the fact they have started using Group III for their base oils. I still love their oils though!

I'm not sure where you are getting that "fact" ? TGMO is entirely group III based for example, no PAO. I think you'll find quite a few oils; like the majority, have zero PAO in them.

OP:

If you are looking for OTS non-Euro oils, about the only ones I know of that are readily available and >50% PAO based are M1 EP and AP 0w-20.

How does 10% PAO ensure that an oil can last for 5K miles, and why can't other oil bases achieve the same result?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
OP:

If you are looking for OTS non-Euro oils, about the only ones I know of that are readily available and >50% PAO based are M1 EP and AP 0w-20.

Hmmm, interesting. I knew a majority of the off the shelf synthetic would be mostly Group III, but I didn't realize that basically only the higher end blends of Mobil1 and maybe Royal Purple were the only readily available oils that have a high concentration of PAO.

So my understanding is that Euro blends (like Mobil1 European Formula) will generally have a lot of PAO and that specialty brands such as Amsoil, Motul, Lubri-Moly, Total, Redline and other oils that you would typically have to special order (if you live in the US) will typically be Group V Ester based oils or be Group IV with lots of PAO?

Originally Posted By: Jack2468
So my understanding is that Euro blends (like Mobil1 European Formula) will generally have a lot of PAO
Not necessarily. M1 0w-40 Euro Formula does not have much PAO these days.

Why are you so fixated on PAO to begin with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back