Which filter for Corolla?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I am thinking of ordering a dozen oil filters for my new (to me) 08' Corolla from Fleetfilter. Is it a good idea to get the 1/2 inch longer 1396's or stick with the 1394 that Wix recommends? What are the pros and cons of a slight oversize?

I use longer Purolator PL14477 filters on my echo, instead of the recommended PL14476; Same price so I figure another 1/2 inch is a good safety margin for a 8-10K OCI.

Originally Posted By: law3500
Always use the longer option if it fits with no interference in your application. more oil capacity = good

Except you risk losing the filter manufacturer's warranty.

I changed the oil as soon as I got the car and used the Purolator PL14477. I wonder why the oil filter companies spec the smaller PL14476? More media is a good thing, no?

Originally Posted By: pbm

I changed the oil as soon as I got the car and used the Purolator PL14477. I wonder why the oil filter companies spec the smaller PL14476? More media is a good thing, no?

Not all filter part numbers use the same grade of media. Filter Guy used to talk about this.

Pete C. too. The man's massage them all to work out to meeting the required spec's over the required durations. In some cases you can go bigger and get better.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Its a Corolla, the filter is the last thing you have to worry about.

I know what you mean but the smaller one is like a thimble. I'll probably stick with the slightly larger one even though I realize that many Corollas go over 200K on that thimble.

I can get Wix filters from FF for under $5 apiece. I think that is the best compromise of cost/quality out there. I wouldn't use Fram and Purolators cost more. If I find Purolator on sale I pick them up. I purchased a NAPA Select for $3 for my next OCI.

Is anybody using the Fram 3614 (equivalent) oversized filter in a late model Corolla? If so any problems?

Is anybody using the Fram 3614 (equivalent) oversized filter in a late model Corolla? If so any problems?

do you mean for the slightly bigger gasket, Pat? I'm sure there have been many. There are also those who won't. I've never heard of anyone having issues with using a 2.7/8 X 2.3/4 on a 2.4/2.1-2 application. Many Donaldson filters that have the slightly smaller gaskets xref to Wix with the bigger gaskets (not necessarily in 3/4-16 applications) ..and vise-versa

Thanks.. Sometimes I find that the common sizes like 3614's go on sale when the 4967's won't be. I was just wondering if they could be used.

The ph3614 and ph3600 fit the 2000 in-laws Corolla.
If there is room, go as big as you want. The 4.7L Toyota oil filter is a good upgrade for almost any Toyota 4cyl.

I am thinking of ordering a dozen oil filters for my new (to me) 08' Corolla from Fleetfilter. Is it a good idea to get the 1/2 inch longer 1396's or stick with the 1394 that Wix recommends? What are the pros and cons of a slight oversize?

You could use a coffee filter, it's a Corolla engine and can't be killed easily!
13.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back