Which fasteners should be torqued?

Just wanted to hear some varying perspectives on this. Obviously one's opinion will depend on their experience, skill level, time constraint and available tooling.

In my opinion, the following fasteners should always be torqued:
- Head bolts
- Lug Nuts (for safety reasons only)
- Any fastener requiring angle torque
- Any fastener located internal to a component (e.g. cam housing bolts, internal timing components, etc.)

The rest of the items are debatable.

I agree with everything you have listed. Also would like to add suspension fasteners. The reason I say that is even though I had tightened the knuckle to strut bolts on our Camry with a impact and didn’t think to torque them it came loose and we thought we had suspension issues again turns out the strut was moving around a little bit. The top bolts were slightly loose but I had applied a little loctite to those before installing just a little bit however they were hand tightened with a ratchet. So since that happened I’ve torqued every suspension fastener to spec. Just makes me feel better especially on customers cars. And axle nuts too definitely torque those I always do.

Pretty much just head bolts, lug nuts, axle nuts, and bearing caps (carrier bearing, can bearing, etc). I’ve never torqued crank bolts and never had an issue, although I’m sure they “should” be. On old international diesels we had to torque the valve cover screws but the valve cover gasket contains a harness running through it so that was important to get even and not over torqued.

In my opinion, the following fasteners should always be torqued:
- Head bolts
- Lug Nuts (for safety reasons only)
- Any fastener requiring angle torque
- Any fastener located internal to a component (e.g. cam housing bolts, internal timing components, etc.)
Never done this one. Two grunts and a fart is torqued enough

Agree with the everything posts. People like me, who grew up on iron, overtightened every nut and bolt.
And got away with it. No more...
The good news is, we learned and now have respect for a fastener. All good.
Plus any reason to break out the Snap ON 3/8 or Bonney 250# is OK by me.

Lug nuts
Spark plug threads
Anything with a torque sequence (valve cover gaskets, etc)
Anything that is difficult to access that would require a lot of work if you need to get back there

In the automotive field....It's not feasible to torque every single fastener to torque spec with a torque wrench, "Engine/Transmission/Transfer Case/Differential Proper" is a must in my opinion as well as any bearing preload situation. I pretty much use my discretion on everything else.

Any field mechanic that says they torque EVERY fastener is.....
A. Payed by the hour.
B. A Liar.
C. Broke.
D. Bankrolled by something other than being a Mechanic, Be it Parents, Spouse, Trust fund, etc.

I'm a big fan of torque specs. I'll use them anywhere I can for the peace of mind of not having to wonder whether or not something is too loose or tight.

I'd much rather pull out torque wrenches than play the EZ-Out lottery.

Back