Which fast-food places have excellent soft-serve ice cream?

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Later this month/early next month I'll be heading north along I5 in Northern California. Because of the nature of the trip and the condition of my passenger, a stop at a fast-food drive-through is appropriate. Are there places north of Sacramento that have better-than-average soft serve ice cream, or even real ice cream. Don't mind straying a bit from the highway, but want to keep all stops fairly close to, and easily accessible to, an exit.

I know this is kind of an unusual request, but there it is ...

I dunno. I remember when I was in Redding about 15 years ago, I just had Dibs in Redding, but that wasn't really all that different than what one could get in a supermarket anywhere. There's a place called Sweetspot in Redding. Their website says "Cupcakes • Ramen • Gelato • Beer & Wine". No drive-thru per se, but they claim to have curbside pickup if ordered online.

Other than that, the usual would be Wendy's or McDonald's, and I'm sure there will be plenty of drive-thrus. I personally don't like drive-thrus - especially the long lines at certain places, but I get why they might be useful. I did that a few times when my kid was asleep in the car.

Foster Freeze.

Don't think there are too many (looked it up and it's zero) along I-5 going north from the Bay Area, and most don't have drive-thrus or drive-in service. Oroville maybe if one is willing to take a different route. It does seem to have a dining room and drive-thru however. All the ones around here are the traditional window service with outside seating at most.

Don't think there are too many (looked it up and it's zero) along I-5 going north from the Bay Area, and most don't have drive-thrus or drive-in service. Oroville maybe if one is willing to take a different route. It does seem to have a dining room and drive-thru however. All the ones around here are the traditional window service with outside seating at most.
Yes, I discovered that as well. Were going to have to stay close to I5 all the way to our destination. Thanks for jumping in.

Wienerschnitzel in Redding. A bit off of I-5 but near a freeway. They have a drive-thru.

They’ve got Tastee Freez, which isn't too bad. They have options including chocolate or orange dipped. Maybe Froot Loops.

DQ makes me a little sick lately. Found out that it is not really ice cream. Their ingredients do not meet FDA approval for ice cream so they have to call it soft serve. :oops:

Back