Which engine lives the harshest life?

Everyday uses at home or on the job. Wood chipper? Compactor on new asphalt during summer? Tunnel boring machine.....I'm thinking hot weather, heavily loaded, dusty, continuous use like a bulldozer/grader/tractor scraper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Marine engine.. With the sea salt water

I don't know, unlimited cooling water, usually fixed loads while cruising through a standard medium, water. True the salt water is tough on the metals but it takes many years to cause actual harm if maintenance is maintained.

My vote is the car/truck only driven a mile or two, esp. in winter, and never fully warmed up. My late MIL had a Cavalier that she only drove back & forth to work, never got fully warmed up, it knocked the cam locating dowel off the camshaft several times (guessing due to poor lubrication). Add to that the sludge that seems to form when an engine is always used cold, that equals trouble.

This one:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I would say any outdoor landscaping equipment.

And that would be because many employees misuse the equipment and it often ends up with the incorrect fuel. There are many seized two cycle blowers, trimmers and chainsaws that die a quick death from using the incorrect fuel or fuel mixture.

I'm thinking more daily or continuous use. Hot,dusty,worked hard. cold weather applies on ly until the rigs are working and oil warms up imo. Rocket e gines and top fuel engines fall outside the parameters of everyday use.

Well, you did say "on the job" and both Top Fuel and Rocket engines are used in what are legitimately called jobs.

I think there is an image of Buzz Aldrin's expenses reimbursement request for this trip the moon.

https://twitter.com/TheRealBuzz/status/626812956148248577/photo/1

Originally Posted by sloinker
I'm thinking more daily or continuous use. Hot,dusty,worked hard. cold weather applies on ly until the rigs are working and oil warms up imo. Rocket e gines and top fuel engines fall outside the parameters of everyday use.

Very high horsepower race engines that have a very short life/frequent rebuild schedule.

OTR class 8 trucks. The company I retired from would often have a driver coming on duty waiting for a tractor as the driver going off duty was doing their post trip inspection. The fresh driver would then perform a pre trip inspection on the same tractor then leave for another 12 to 15 hour duty cycle. Rinse and repeat 24/7 364 days a year. They would mostly shut down Christmas Day. A new tractor was essentially worn out after 4 to 5 years.

Originally Posted by gman2304
OTR class 8 trucks. The company I retired from would often have a driver coming on duty waiting for a tractor as the driver going off duty was doing their post trip inspection. The fresh driver would then perform a pre trip inspection on the same tractor then leave for another 12 to 15 hour duty cycle. Rinse and repeat 24/7 364 days a year. They would mostly shut down Christmas Day. A new tractor was essentially worn out after 4 to 5 years.

That's interesting! How many miles after 4 or 5 years?

There's an engine out there in a Dodge Neon driven by twenty-one year old bar waitress with umpteen thousand miles on it that hasn't seen an oil change or ANY maintenance in years,
that's just begging for somebody to put it out of its misery.
15.gif

Back