Which do you prefer? Holes? Louvers? Be prepared for your mind to be blown..... A Third Option!

...... I have a feeling that even very closed up louvers will shine some light through them when a light is put behind them.....
Until someone does that, that will remain speculative. Obviously though, the backlit louver pics I've posted with my c&ps show far more than some light. I'll continue to try to include a pic with light down tube as ultimate proof of louver openings. I've found especially with smaller applications like 6607/14612, and 7317/14610 with smaller outlet opening it provides the best perspective of all louvers with no concern for camera angle. Since I now have a stash of Puro made Bosch Prem 3323, and at least one member regularly posts that manufacturer as having suspect louvers, seems best practice for me. Speaking of Puro louvered tubes, below is a pic of a PL14612 made in 2018 I posted 6/19.

My purpose in the initial reply was answer the OP's question. I didn't seek out, question or challenge another member's answer or choice. I wouldn't presume to tell others what to do or think. My philosophy always, use the filter you like. It's what I do. So, having no preference here means in addition to those with holes, I'll continue to use louvered filters as well.

full-23702-33661-p1020034.jpg

Like said earlier, for me It's best to be able to visually inspect and gauge louver formation and openings before installing the filter to decide if they are a "go" or "no go". I've never had a problem visually inspecting them while looking through the base plate with a strong LED flashlight. It's not hard to do, no different than looking at the bad vs good louver photos I posted earlier. If someone is worried about louver openings, they need to inspect before use and decide if they're acceptable for them. Too late to decide after the filter has been ran.

Last edited:
I wonder if wire wouldn't rub through the filter material if left on long enough?
Looks like smooth round wire, see post 36. Not sure if ACDelco actually uses this design, or it was just a concept.

Back