Which dipstick?

While cleaning this pressure washer with a clone honda engine 212cc i noticed it has 2 dipsticks!
I cant believe i missed this out before. Which dipstick do i use for oil checking? Are they linked to the same oil sump or are they seperate and need to be filled and checked individually?
Pic attached

Attachments

• IMG_20200912_180846.jpg
    IMG_20200912_180846.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 275
You can use either one. They just put two because of different applications the engine may be used on. They will both read the same. Does it actually have a dipstick, or do you just fill it till overflow.

Can i use 2 magnetic dipsticks then?
Yes, you can. You can put in a magnetic drain plug too.
People can debate the merits of all those magnets, but it's not going to harm anything.

Personally, I have a magnetic dipsticks in my two generators. Found them on sale and thought they were neat. I figured it's a small thing I could do to help the longevity of something I would need in an emergency and could be called upon to run extended hours at a moment's notice.
I do not have one in my 40yr old rototiller or my 15yr old lawn mower. Both still run just fine.

I have been reading over on the powerequipment forum, generator forums and just learned in the last couple of days that the Honda GX620 v twin on my big generator has two drain plugs. Years ago I had installed a fumoto drain valve with a nipple for a drain hose, makes oil change much cleaner as no oil drains or drips on the frame. I finally found tread size and ordered a magnetic drain plug for the other size( It is somewhat hidden behind some of the wiring. That plus a magnet on the oil filter should help a good bit. I also have a pressure washer with a much smaller Honda GX200, splash lubed engine. It has a drain plug that also was replaced with one of the fumoto valves and extension hose. It has a oil filler cap. I looked and looked for thread size on the cap and finally found two different sizes shown, then having changed the oil in it today, got to thinking, went back out, pulled it out and got one of my little Honda EU2000 generators out, which have had a magnetic dipstick cap installed since day one and tried in in the pressure washer and it works, so ordered another one to install in the washer.

I looked today when it was light and discovered that the Honda gx200 has two drain locations and two fill locations. I went ahead and ordered a magnetic drain plug, and another magnetic dipstick for those locations.

Sorry for bumping up a old thread.
But , quick question. I bought a new pressure washer (simpson gx200/cat pump).
Is a magnetic drain plug better than a magnetic dipstick ? I found these. Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
Sorry for bumping up a old thread.
But , quick question. I bought a new pressure washer (simpson gx200/cat pump).
Is a magnetic drain plug better than a magnetic dipstick ? I found these. Thanks in advanced.

Is a plug better than a dipstick? I think either one will perform its function as long as the magnet is submerged where oil is circulating. Circulation is the key. The magnet can only pull ferrous material out of the oil that is near it.

I have magnetic dipsticks in both of my generators (but not my lawnmower). After running the engine for a while, there is usually an accumulation of fine stuff on the magnet. I wipe that clean and reinstall the dipstick. Checking again after a week or so, there is more accumulation of stuff on the magnet.

With this data, I'm of the opinion that the magnet is working 24/7 to pull any ferrous material out of the nearby oil, and that can only be helpful. I have no evidence either way if the life of the engine will be measurably affected with or without the magnet. My lawnmower has lived a healthy life for 20 years (approx 30hr/yr, 600 hrs total) without a magnet and is still going strong with semi-annual oil changes.

Thanks for the reply. I ordered the drain plugs , it looked like the magnet was a little bigger on the drain plugs.

My Kohler pressure washer has two fill ports -

I always thought they use the same engine on many different applications - and if they just had one it could sometimes be in a location that is a PITA - so they just have two and one will always be accessible

most do not screw in the dipstick, just resr in on the hole. I you screw it in you will have the low oil shutdown trigger, becasue it is low.

Just fill it to one thread below the overflow.

Back