Which Dino oil..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to use synthetic but I am still a 3 month or 3000 mile guy. I just wont do an extended oil change interval.. I rarely hit 3000 miles in the 3 month period. I have not been on the site long. I never here about valvoline conventional is it garbage??

Quote:

but I am still a 3 month or 3000 mile guy.

5K is the new 3K; run the Yellow Bottle; live long and prosper.

Last edited:
I was a religious 3k guy until I hit this site...now a 5k guy. Valvoline will do fine. I have used it many times with fine results for 5k.

What does 3 months have to do with anything?

I ran 7 year old GTX Drive Hard 10W40 in my trail Jeep for a year with a kazillion cold starts and severe use. There was no excessive moisture or insoluables.

The three month change interval is a ploy.

Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
I have not been on the site long. I never here about valvoline conventional is it garbage??

Nothing that Valvoline makes is garbage. Spend some more time here and you'll get oil edumacated.
thumbsup2.gif

IMO, Syn + 3Mo/3k = waste. For that OCI you could run any name brand oil with no worries. Valv Conv is good oil, and I had a good UOA at 4k and 5k minumum was recommended.

You can run search under my screen name and find it.

That said, I'd go with the best value name brand oil I could find right now. That would include Quaker State, Pennzoil, Mobil Clean 5000, Motorcraft if your running 5w20. Valvoline in jugs is a little higher than those at this time. I'm using Wally World jugs prices as reference.

Heck, you could even run Super Tech or one the parts store brands with an oil change specials with that OCI. See O'Reilly Oil oil change special.

And, maybe after you're here a while you'll feel more confident running a longer OCI.

HTH
J

I used Valvoline conventional in my old 95 Plymouth minivan for 140,000 miles with no oil related problems. It had lots of other problems that ended with a blown head gasket and a trip to the scrap yard. That was my first and last Mopar.

I used to use synthetic but I am still a 3 month or 3000 mile guy. I just wont do an extended oil change interval...

The power of marketing !!!

Originally Posted By: PT1
I was a religious 3k guy until I hit this site...now a 5k guy. Valvoline will do fine. I have used it many times with fine results for 5k.

Same here. Now I realize how foolish I was being dumping oil at 3k!

Everyone is going to recommend what they like.

With that said, Castrol GTX is the dino I always choose.

But, in reality, Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline.. they are excellent oils. If I had to pick, I'd go Castrol, if someone brought in another brand for me to change their oil, I wouldn't say a word and let them know they chose a good oil and to not worry.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

but I am still a 3 month or 3000 mile guy.

5K is the new 3K; run the Yellow Bottle; live long and prosper.

"Having changed the oil is not so pleasing a thing as planning to change the oil. It is not logical. But it is often true."
(-- with apologies to Mr. Spock)

I used to use synthetic but I am still a 3 month or 3000 mile guy. I just wont do an extended oil change interval.. I rarely hit 3000 miles in the 3 month period. I have not been on the site long. I never here about valvoline conventional is it garbage??

Valvoline conventional is great oil. It can go 5K in your 5.3L no sweat. 3K is even wasting dino oil these days( this from a guy who started out doing 2500 mile OC's! ).

Originally Posted By: 2003f7
I used Valvoline conventional in my old 95 Plymouth minivan for 140,000 miles with no oil related problems. It had lots of other problems that ended with a blown head gasket and a trip to the scrap yard. That was my first and last Mopar.

Isnt your jeep cherokee a Mopar??

Thanks for all of your wisdom fella's.. I will still do my 3 month 3,000. You made me realize what ever is on sale that month Pennsoil, Valvoline, or Mobil 5000 is going in the Seqouia and the Chevrolet... This site also scared me right out of using a fram in my Chevy WIX it is..

This site also scared me right out of using a fram in my Chevy WIX it is..

Well good,our job here is done.
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back