Which Dexron-III ATF would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 97 Subaru Outback calls for DEX II or III; am I understanding the thread correctly that I can use more modern fluids and not damage anything?

apparently so. It may even be desirable to do so (esp. for longer service intervals) because DexVI is a more robust fluid and is either a synethetic or blend, whereas most DexIII's are not.

Use the lowest cost one you can find that still meets the specs. I use the Walmart ST ATF. if you want to spend a little more per gallon, then get the Pennzoil ATF. In the large GM trannys, there is very little decompostion of the fluid in general service.

You might want to splurge @ walmart and get the ST Dexron 6. it is $1.00 more per qt, but it is synthetic and better than Dex 3

I have used Penzoil dex/merc ATF which has work better in my GM LS1 auto-4 than other brands. You can get it at Wallfart for $10-11 per gallon. Real good stuff.

Valvoline is the only DexVI I can find around here. The bottle says it is synthetic.

AAP had some DexVI but said it (the bottle) was made for GM engines...

I just spent the better part of a day (don't ask) on doing a filter change on my Jeep Cherokee. Vehicle has 70K miles and the last time I did a filter was at 15K miles. I've done about 4 sump dumps (4qts) in the interm. There was no sludge in the pan and very little attached to the magnets. What I'm going to do now is that with every oil change (6 mos) I'll dump the sump and replace with 4 fresh qts. I think that is good policy and is more important than which brand fluid to us (I use Pennzoil BTW).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back