Which Coolant For 2 Sentras ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago this was really quite simple but has quickly become much less so. I have a 99 and an '02 Nissan Sentra. The manual for each calls for 50% Genuine NISSAN Anti-freeze coolant or equivalent. It gives no clue as to what an equivalent might be. I've been using the regular 'ol Prestone. I'd appreciate some input from some of you who are 'in the know' as to what I should select for these two cars. Thank you.

I always used Zerex 100,000 mile antifreeze in my 96 Sentra and 97 Altima with no problem. That is the regular Zerex in the white bottle. You could also use the new Prestone that is compatible with all antifreezes.

The Japanese have adopted an "OAT" no-silicates for water pump protection, but high phosphates charge for aluminum corrosion resistance philosophy. There really isn't a direct equivalent available in the U.S. aftermarket, though I and several others have had very good experiences with DEX-COOL in Hondas. (no silicates phosphates, nitrites, borates, or amines) If you're willing to try this route, the newly reformulated yellow jug Prestone that replaces conventional Prestone, now, is the same formula as that company's "GM DEX-COOL Approved" fluid but dyed yellow-green instead of orange. (priced commenserately cheaper since it doesn't display the licensed "GM DEX-COOL Approved" logo, too). Even cheaper yet is the newly reformulated ST extended life juice - same chemistry and I have been speculating that it's probably supplied in bulk by Prestone to Alsip Packaging, Inc. who then bottles it to WalMart's ST brand for delivery to that retailer's warehouses. (key features phrases on the backs of the yellow Prestone jugs and the new bright blue ST jugs are identical - that's got to be more than mere coincidence) $5.64/gallon. Like DEX-COOL, these two formulations are pitched as 5 yr./150,000 mile brews. Since you indicated you've been running conventional hydrated-silicates old formula Prestone, do a complete flush repeatedly with distilled water to remove all traces of the old juice first. When I changed out the coolant in my 2003 Sonata (bought in late 2002) a couple of weeks ago, it took six flushes and about 4 gallons of $0.58/gallon WalMart distilled water to get to white water clear drainage if that gives you any idea what you're in for. If you're nervous about DEX-COOL chemistry, Zerex G-05 would probably be a good alternative - phosphates and reduced silicates for quick aluminum protection. However, G-05 also contains an OAT sodium salt for long term protection (4 years/100,000 miles). The presence of both silicates and "OAT" makes for a hybrid organic acid technology, aka, "HOAT". As above, do a complete distilled water flush first.

(Of course you could always buy Nissan's overpriced proprietary juice at the dealer's parts counter, too!
smile.gif
)

[ September 21, 2004, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

quote:

Originally posted by krholm:
A few years ago this was really quite simple but has quickly become much less so. I have a 99 and an '02 Nissan Sentra. The manual for each calls for 50% Genuine NISSAN Anti-freeze coolant or equivalent. It gives no clue as to what an equivalent might be. I've been using the regular 'ol Prestone. I'd appreciate some input from some of you who are 'in the know' as to what I should select for these two cars.

Current Nissan and Toyota use a red colored coolant for which there is no North American equivalent. Honda uses a similar coolant which is green.

As Ray H points out, it is a phosphated no-silicate OAT which uses sebacate as the organic acid inhibitor.

Valvoline suggests using their DexCool type Zerex ExtremeLife, which is no-phosphate no-silicate OAT. Texaco Havoline and Prestone Extended Life are the same type of coolant, all of them containing sebacate and 2-EHA (2-ethylhexanoic acid). The Japanese do not use 2-EHA.

Another option is the G-05 that Daimler-Chrysler and Ford use. This avoid the 2-EHA, which Honda specifically excludes in their recommendations. As a result, Valvoline recommends G-05 for replacing Honda’s version of the coolant Nissan and Toyota use.

The DexCool type coolants offer longer life. The G-05 avoids 2-EHA, which is a plasticizer, and G-05 handles cavitation better, which means if you fail to keep your system topped off your chances of a problem are less.

Ray H also correctly advises you to flush, flush, flush out the old mix of Nissan and Prestone and refill with distilled water and the coolant you choose. Keep a jug of 50/50 mix for refill

I converted an older Honda to DexCool three years ago and have had no problems at all. I will moving my 2002 Toyota over to DexCool next spring.

Mickey_M, thanks for confirmation that Honda's "OAT" phosphated antifreeze/coolant is still dyed green. It was green in my '96 Accord, but I'd wondered recently if they'd gotten on the "rainbow bandwagon" and switched to another dye. Given the EPA's concern about phosphates in the environment (not that I necessarily agree with the beaurocracy...), I suspect it's just a matter of time before the Japanese manufacturers will have to reformulate to a non or lesser phosphate coolant. I also suspect that's one of the reasons Prestone and ST have been reformulated recently, and may have even been a driving force behind DEX-COOL for GM cars. (being "biggest" tends to put GM on the EPA's radar "firstest") The more I read about various antifreeze/coolant technologies and the rapid changes taking place, the more I've come to believe neither the auto companies, the chemical companies, nor the EPA know whether to scratch their collective noses or blow their collective butts. While on the subject of phosphates, they may explain why some communities prohibit dumping spent coolant into their sanitary sewer systems. Phosphates are persistent in the environment and allegedly play he11 with the biodegradability of the glycols they're associated with in the coolant mixtures.

(Rant mode: OFF - it's safe to come out now...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back