Which Cell phone

Mt 5 year old LG phone is causing issues and want to new phone from VERISON (daughters family plan). I use primarily for TALK TO TEXT, family Pictures and weather updates etc. LG is no more so I need a fairly simple replacement and not a $900 one. Suggestions from owners please. Ed

I have a Motorola Moto-E with service from Consumer Cellular. The phone was $100.00, and the service is good, as well as reasonable. My wife has the same. No complaints. The phone has a good camera, and a nice sized screen. It gets all the news, and weather I need. Consumer Cellular has a pretty good choice of phones and plans. They're worth looking into.

This^^
Or for something less expensive, Family Talk (Walmart) $25.00 for the flip phone and $26.50/Mo for service. (Not on Verizon)
Personally I'd go with a used Galaxy S10 (or refurb) soon getting Android 12 and One UI 4.
Waterproof, nice display, fast, plenty of storage (128 Gb), SD card slot, and Earphone Jack.
Or a Samsung A series.

For being young and technically oriented, I really don't spend much time on my phone, I prefer my laptop, what I do can generally be served by the most basic phone, but I upgraded from a Moto E6 to the Moto One 5G ace, because it was like a $400 phone that's been marked down to $200, at $400, it was meh, but at $200 it's the best buy to me, if you plan on keeping a phone for a while you'll probably want 64 or 128G of space, the main problem I had with the Moto E6 is that I ran out of space, like all I had on the phone was Facebook and Messenger, the Google Apps, a few banking apps and like Walmart and stuff like that, no huge games or anything, and I moved everything I could to an SD card, but basic apps are super bloated now and 16G doesn't really cut it and 32G probably will not be enough too far in the future. The Moto One 5G Ace is great, got a finger print scanner that makes it easy to unlock and sign into apps, and the Camera is actually really decent for a budget device, the Macro mode is excellent, I think it's better than high end phones I had in the past, plus the battery is 5000mAh which is pretty huge.

I'm going to jump on the Motorola wagon here. I have the Moto G7 thru Tracfone, $22 a month for 1GB data and unlimited text and minutes.

I got a "refurb" iPhone SE 2020 model from Amazon, looked brand new, for ~$310. Put in on Red Pocket. They're just nicer than the comparably priced Androids. Maybe the camera isn't as good and they're not as big (a plus in my book) but they work better and are almost guaranteed to be supported for longer in terms of the OS.

jeff

I got a "refurb" iPhone SE 2020 model from Amazon, looked brand new, for ~$310. Put in on Red Pocket. They're just nicer than the comparably priced Androids. Maybe the camera isn't as good and they're not as big (a plus in my book) but they work better and are almost guaranteed to be supported for longer in terms of the OS.

jeff

I have an iPhone XR for work which is a higher level phone than the SE. The Motorola One 5G Ace runs circles around it - not even a comparison.

I have an iPhone XR for work which is a higher level phone than the SE. The Motorola One 5G Ace runs circles around it - not even a comparison.
What do you mean by this exactly? Faster - better screen - better experience overall? I'm serious. Every iPhone I've used is just overall better than any Android I've used so I'm just curious. I'm no Apple fan boy this is just my experience with these things.

According to various benchmarks the A12 Bionic comes out ahead of the Snapdragon 750G in the Motorola despite being 3 years older. The current iPhone SE, $399, also has the A13 Bionic vs your A12, which is faster still. The Motorola does have a bigger higher resolution screen and likely better cameras though.
B96DB919-B4AF-40F6-8683-E0FC260A493B.jpg

My step father in law just got a Pixel 5a after another charge port failed on his Motorola. Currently on sale for $399, if I were to switch back to android for the 3rd time the Pixel line up is what I’d go with.

lots of motorolas under $200 unlocked of course + 4G LTE as well, not a phone guy as i mostly talk as needed so i dropped my ATT go phone plan for an even cheeper AirVoice pay as you go $10 for 3 mo! 100 minutes talk + text @ @10 a min + data available as well if used!! the main reason i dumped att, it worked well for 3G but $$$$ if you want full functions cheeply for a VERY lite user.

Iphone 11 $499 and worth every penny. Can buy direct from Apple unlocked.

Besides all the great features of iPhones, this was the first year of a camera which can take photos in near total darkness. Its a pretty cool feature and one that you can not imagine because its totally amazing..
Apple phones hold a 45% market share in the USA against all other manufacturers for a reason. (and I used to be anti Apple for 2 decades) Now I am fully in their world.

Last edited:
According to various benchmarks the A12 Bionic comes out ahead of the Snapdragon 750G in the Motorola despite being 3 years older. The current iPhone SE, $399, also has the A13 Bionic vs your A12, which is faster still. The Motorola does have a bigger higher resolution screen and likely better cameras though.
View attachment 79144

My step father in law just got a Pixel 5a after another charge port failed on his Motorola. Currently on sale for $399, if I were to switch back to android for the 3rd time the Pixel line up is what I’d go with.

The XR lags on opening and using apps, the Ace doesn't. The Ace is lighter, the screen ratio is taller both of which make it easier to hold and gives you more screen. The battery lasts longer, and it's USB-C so I can use the same cable to charge my PC and phone. The fingerprint reader is superior to Face ID which doesn't work in low light, when in bed or wearing a mask.

I don't like how notifications are handled on iOS and I prefer having navigation buttons over that goofy bar.

Picture taken with a Moto E 2020 (also a great phone but not in the same league as these two, good for a light user looking for a basic smartphone).

B9YUMKg.jpg

Last edited:
Back