Which cartridge filter would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have these three cartridge filters for my V6 Rav4 to choose from and will return one of them:

P6110088.jpg

Which one would you use and which one would you return based on appearance?

I'll disclose the brands a little later.

I'd use all three of them. When it comes to cartridge fitlers, appearance doesn't mean squat really (as long as they look like they didn't get stomped on). I care more about filtration ability than vanity. If they meet at least 97.9% filtration ability and up, then you are golden.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
The picture is next to wortless in picking the best one, but, I like endcap types in general. Go with the one on the tight.

+1

Oh boy.. I'm not a fan of that vehicle either, but we're here to discuss the filters...... I like the end caps also, since I believe it would have prevent the media from colapse.

Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
I like the end caps also, since I believe it would have prevent the media from colapse.

I've see cartridges with end caps that were still collapsing, but yeah, they would have most likely collapsed even sooner or more if they had no end caps.

Times have changed here in BITOG world. I was sure that a majority of responses would be based around picking the filter with the most pleats, which would be the one on the left. But if you look closer to the pleats, the inner pleats are the closest [around the inner tube area].

There has been a prevailing opinion dating back to the mid 1990’s when the first oil filter study was posted on the Internet that the more pleats that an oil filter has the better. The rationale is that the filter with the most pleats equates to the total amount of filter material (surface area) in the filter and it will be great providing better filtering. I have disagreed with this opinion from the first time I read the Mopar filter study.

As I’ve posted before, the more pleats [exterior, outer circumference, oil input side] that an oil filter has, the tighter the interior [inner circumference, oil output side] pleats are together thus restricting oil flow; especially when oil is thicker and not at operating temperature.

The filters from left to right are: Toyota OE (Denso), Fram EG (before 4/11), and Fram EG (after 4/11). The new Fram EG (after 4/11) looks the same as the Purolator Classic oil filter with the same filter material, plastic endcaps, and made in the USA; Purolator glues a piece of fabric on both ends for better sealing inside the cartridge container.

For those who are pro-end caps for cartridge filters:

P6110090.jpg

The Purolator oil filter on the left was used late summer last year though early fall with Hav DS SM oil, and the Toyota OE filter on the right was used through most of the winter with FormulaShell SN oil - both grades were 5W-30 and OCI's were 4k-4.5k mi.

Though the Purolator inner pleats were closer than the OE filter when new, look at how the material swelled when it is wet with oil.

The guessing game?? I guess you didn't read the OP - which would you use?

BTW, the Rav4 out accelerates most cars on the road (either stopped or rolling with no mods), has a 3500 towing capacity, third row seat and turns 32-34 mpg on the highway with dino oil. The dealer that sold me the car gives all of their cars lifetime drivetrain warranties. I'm returning the newer Fram filter.

if the end cap-less version had well-potted ends like the mann filters, Id say to use that. Since it doesnt, Id say it is a toss-up. Im not the biggest fan of end caps, but would prefer better potting than what the others look like for that application...

First let me say, as compared to canister filters, I'm not impressed with cartridge filters. But, I'm now having to deal with the choice with my Genesis. The Mahle made Hyundai OEM is a cheap looking design. It's nothing more than an ecore with felt endcaps and nylon inner cage. And to add insult to a cheap looking design the dealer wants $10 (ridiculous) for this newest design Mahle made Hyundai OEM. Fortunately there is another previous design with composite/nylon encaps OEM that is less expensive, that I've found. Also Wix has a similar endcap design (like one on right), that is ~$6. Not impressed with the Mahle made OEM in the least, and won't pay the dealer price either.

As for the filters, I don't have enough information to make choice. Price, which works and holds up best in my vehicle would be my startng point. Purolator has admitted that at least some of their original designed cartridge filters needed a centertube and has since change the design. There is a thread regarding the change here. It does appear that unlike their canister filters, Purolator may have been somewhat behind the curve in the design of their cartridge filters. It seems they've now figured it out where their cartridge filters needed to be improved. Or they could just make the endcaps cheaper like the Mahle/Hyundai OEM, and charge more. But, I wouldn't base my decision on the after pictures shown in this thread for this specific (RAV) application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back