Which cars use/who buys 0W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been checking my local AutoZone for German Castrol 0W-30, which doesn't carry it yet, only the "FakeTec" U.S. version.

One thing I noticed is that they don't sell very much of this grade. Over the past week or two, I don't think they've sold any..

Exactly who is this 0W-30 FakeTec oil targeted at, and which cars call for this viscosity?

Thanks,
Jason

I was going by information that the German made 0W-30 was already available at AutoZone. I have not actually looked myself. If it is not there, then when is it supposed to be there? Personally myself, I am going to give Schaeffer's Oil a try. I really like the Chevron oil I am using, but it can't hurt to at least try the Schaeffer's.

Another thing that troubles me somewhat about the German Castrol 0W-30 is that that is apparently the only weight it is available in. I would prefer for it to be available in a 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30, and maybe a 5W-40.

I noticed 1 of the 4 Wal*Marts in our area has Mobil 1 0W30. I don't know what the market is for this oil either. Eskimos maybe.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:

Another thing that troubles me somewhat about the German Castrol 0W-30 is that that is apparently the only weight it is available in. I would prefer for it to be available in a 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30, and maybe a 5W-40.

A lot of people say that, but keep in mind that this 0w30 Castrol has a viscosity of 68.5cst at 40c. Compare this to many popular 10w30 and 5w30 oils and you'll see that this spec is actually thicker! So in the hot summer, when you start your car in the morning, this oil behaves much like a 10w30. But in super extreme cold, it flows much better. And it's almost a 40wt oil at operating temperature also, with it's 12.1cst viscosity at 100c. So in many ways, this oil is like a 10w40, since most dino 10w40s end up thinning out to 12cst after a very short time anyways.

Ask your Autozone to order a case for you. You are correct that much of the older yellow label oil is still on the shelf. However, the newly shipped oil has been the German product. My Autozone told me that they only order when they are low on stock,, but they tend to keep 4 cases in stock. It's funny because the same 6 bottles of yellow label 0W-30 has been on the shelf for 2 months but the red label oil seems to disappear fast. Someone in my local area is wise to the German oil.

0w-30 oils are a tough sell because most of the oil buying public has a very hazy idea of what the "w" designation means. They have the image that 0w-30 oils are too thin. Even among more knowlegeable people, many feel they need 5w-30 or 10w-30 to get decent shear stability. This isn't necessarily so either.

As a practical matter, a 0W-30 must pass the 10W-30 and 5W-30 requirements, so it can be used in any engine which requires either.
I sell about as much 0W-30 AMSOIL as I do all the other viscosities combined (except for the shops which usually carry only one grade)

A low "winter" number such as 0Wx or 5Wx is desirable to maximize startup performance, minimize startup emissions, and minimize startup wear. It is especially desirable for newer higher-performance engines. 0W30, 5W30, and 0W40 are the OEM recommendations for most new (USA) Volkswagen-Audi vehicles, among others.

Jay had it right. People freak over the "0" part, they just think it is too thin. I asked a guy at my local AutoZone if they were going to be getting any more of the 0W30 Castrol {didn't elaborate on the German/American versions as I figured he wouldn't know}. His reply was- {It don't sell too well, stuff is too thin. I tried some and the pump wouldn't pick it up. Too thin.} I didn't even argue, wasn't worth it.

I have used M1 0W30 in my 2000 Firebird since it's 3rd oil change at 6K miles. The engine now has 36K on it now. It's oil consumption is very low, the most it ever used was about a quart in 7500 miles.

I did alot of playing on that interval {quite a few 1/4 mile passes, around 20 or so AutoX runs and a lot of playtime in the mountains. I'm not easy on the car at all!

That's about the worst oil consumption interval it's had. Most of the time it uses around a 1/2 quart in around 7000 miles. Don't know if I'm lucky or not, most tend to say the LS1 is a oil burner.
dunno.gif
If I rember right, the 0W30 is a bit thicker than the 5W30 or the 10W30 M1s. That might be a factor but I doubt it, wouldn't make that much of a difference.

On the last oil change, I swapped to M1 0W40 because of the good reports I've heard on it and because it's about to be summer in Ga. Also figure that it's clearances have opened up a smidge.I will most likely go back to 0W30 on my next change-it will be getting ready for winter then.

quadrun1
Same here in Colorado Spring, the oil bottles have dust all over them. At this rate, they will never get the new stuff. Who will buy it during the summer? Not many, I suspect.

[ May 08, 2003, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: Fillherup ]

I just saw some of the 0w-30 Syntec today at Autozone in Columbus, Ohio. It had the ACEA A3 rating and met all kinds of euro automaker spec requirements (e.g. VW 502/503/505). Is this the "German Syntec"?
It has a red label but still appeared to me made in the U.S. Said "not for sale outside of U.S."

[ May 10, 2003, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: VeeDubb ]

quote:

Originally posted by VeeDubb:
I just saw some of the 0w-30 Syntec today at Autozone in Columbus, Ohio. It had the ACEA A3 rating and met all kinds of euro automaker spec requirements (e.g. VW 502/503/505). Is this the "German Syntec"?
It has a red label but still appeared to me made in the U.S. Said "not for sale outside of U.S."

Yup, that's the German stuff!

The "Made in Germany" text is easily overlooked, link to the pictures in this thread.

Jason

Cool. A 0w-30 with ACEA A3!
Couple questions:

1. Is it PAO or still group III?
2. Would you choose it over Mobil 1 0w-40 for a VW 1.8T turbo with the summer coming up?

quote:

I tried some and the pump wouldn't pick it up

What? I guess you don't have to know anything about food work in a supermarket.....

[ May 10, 2003, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: turbochem ]

quote:

Couple questions:

2. Would you choose it over Mobil 1 0w-40 for a VW 1.8T turbo with the summer coming up?

Good questions! We're guessing it's PAO with lots of esters, because it has a really low pour point, I think it's lower than M1 0W-40.

But M1 0W-40 carries MB 229.5 approval, whereas German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 does not (yet?)

Jason

quote:

Couple questions:

It's definitely not a Group III oil. It has a pour point of -81°F, which would be impossible with Group III. In fact, I'm willing to bet it would be impossible to have a pour point that low with a base oil blend that was predominatley PAO. My guess is that the base oil for this German Syntec is 80% esters (Group V) and 20% PAO (Group IV).

As to whether or not I'd choose it over Mobil1 0w40, I'm wrestling with that myself. Patman is going to be the first to post a UOA of this oil, probably in another month, and that's when we're going to get the first "hard" evidence of how this oil performs. Based on just its specs, I do believe that this German Syntec is probably the most unique (and best) synthetic oil currently available in the US—hence, I'm probably going to wind up switching to it.

Thanks G-Man and Quadrun. Good info.

BTW, off topic a bit, but have you heard of the Valvoline 0w-30 MXL synthetic that recently got the MB.229? Any info on this oil?

quote:

BTW, off topic a bit, but have you heard of the Valvoline 0w-30 MXL synthetic that recently got the MB.229? Any info on this oil?

As far as I know, this oil is only available in Europe.

Just checked another local AutoZone, they got the new Castrol 0W30. Think I'll try that when I get to the end of the 0W40 M1 interval.

Wonder why they charge the same price for what must be a higher cost product? Not gripeing at all, just wondering. Marketing issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back