Which breed of dog do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

250lbs and groWING

shocked.gif

250 lbs?!?!?! Seriously?!?!

Labs can be trained and they are great with children and adults. A little hyper when younger but they mellow out after they are few years old.

I have a German Shepherd / Greyhound mix, and my girlfriend has a pekingnese and a pug. I had a lab that died last Aug. He was great with kids and very mellow.

I have two labs and two kids. The dogs are great with kids. My son has put his thumbs in the dog's nostrils, woken him up by pulling on his genitalia, taken food out of their mouths, my daughter will climb on them while they sleep to give them hugs, run her doll's stroller over their paws and tails and the worst the dog has ever done is a little growl. No snapping, no biting, nothing. Growling, at least in my book, is a good thing, because it is the way a dog sends a warning and is very effective of inter-species communication.

We have an English Shepherd mix (supposedly a pure-bred English Shepherd mixed with an English cocker / poodle mix). He goes around 60 lbs. He is a really great dog... smart with a great temperment, and eager to please his master.
smile.gif

American Cocker Spaniel. Easy going, cute, easy to train and great with kids. Do not get the male. They are very territorial and get jealous easily.

quote:

Originally posted by michaelc80:
One Alpine Mastiff (St. Bernard) at 160# and a black lab at 85#.

Of course I need to buy dog food by the truckload...

I'm actually amazed at how little our Pyrennes eats for his size, but he's healthy. The smaller dogs are the one's that eat me out of house and home.

Gotta love that drool.
grin.gif

We had a Dalmatian as well. He was a great dog. Passed - joint problems then the medicine did his stomach in.

Also at the same time we had a Spaniel mix. Boy was she a great dog as well. Smart - hunted birds with me - no training.

Both dogs were great with our kids - protective to a T...the Dalmatian was maybe a little to protective....he would growl at any men that came near us....(but gentle as a baby with ALL kids)

Retired racing greyhound. Super mellow, no fuss at all, his normal state is asleep on his back with his legs in the air.

-

Like any breed, most greys are good with kids but a few aren't. The adoption group should know. Generally the kids will have more energy than the dog. He's 74 lbs., you do need a higher quality dog food with little filler, he eats 4 cups of Nutro Ultra a day and sometimes not even all of that. I had a border collie before, he was nice too and extremely intelligent.
Greyhounds give you the added benefit of a cool sticker on your car that says "My dog is faster than your dog."
More info at www.greytalk.com

[ April 11, 2005, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: JohnnyO ]

I have a 105# German shepherd, 2 Rottweilers, and a mutt that I'm absolutely convinced is part Dodge Caravan.

My wife runs an animal rescue shelter and we see a lot of dogs dumped/abandoned because their owners simply picked the wrong breed.

In our experience, if you have kids, the "herding" dogs are usually the best choice. They will see children as being part of their flock and will die to protect them. There are, of course, some exceptions. See

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/children.htm

Absolutely consider your climate when choosing a breed (i.e. don't get a Saint Bernard if you live in Florida).

Also keep in mind that if you adopt a German shepherd, Doberman, Pitbull, Chow or Rottweiler, no matter how well behaved they are, your homeowner's insurance premiums will almost certainly go up. You might want to call your agent to check about other breeds.

We have 2 Jack Russell Terriers, male and female. They are half brother and sister, same mother, different father.

We love them, they do have a tendency to attach to one person. My wifes male starts to cry like a baby if she comes home from work late. He will lie down facing the door and start wimpering, until she walks in the door.

Mine's is a German Short Hair. Great dog, but lots of energy. So you have to take them out to run.

Also have a Bracco Italiano. Which is an Italian Pointer, only about 200 in the US. It was $2000 so I doubt you would be interested in that.

GSPs are great dogs, smart, protective, but have a high prey drive (she is nuts for cats, birds, rabbits etc) They also have a lot of energy, and if you don't work them they can be destructive.

I have a 23lb. Jack Russel/Australian cattledog mix. He's smart, great with the kids and as protective a dog as I've ever seen. It's a great combination that happened by accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back