Which Brand of Extractor to Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Tempo Oil Boy. I have probably done in excess of 100 oil changes with it and it still works fine.

Just don't try to pull cold oil with it!

quote:

Originally posted by Benzadmiral:
I've been using the Topsider (blue can, labeled as the Big Boy Topsider) for two years and six oil changes. No problems, as long as you get the rubber gaskets in place.

In my experience, the pump doesnt have much life left in it... good luck.

Worked well on my MB and BMWs though... IIRC, the dealers often use an electric topside pump for doing oil services in the dealerships now.

th edifference in oil removal from a plug and topsider is nearly negligible.

JMH

I got mine from Harbor Freight, of all places, and it works great!

You hook it up to your air compressor, put the line down the dipstick, and pull the trigger.

It can pull 6 qts of warm 40 weight motor oil in under four minutes.

When vacuum extraction works, my extracter will always get at least a quart more out of the engine than can be drained. Not every engine will work with the extractor - it's useless on my LS1, great on my Jaguar AJ V8 and V12, was not so good on the Jaguar AJ6 inline 6.

Trannies, power steering reservoirs, brake lines, small engine sumps and gas tanks are a breeze to vacuum dry.

Sounds like everyone has a different take on this. Not only different takes on whether to use an extractor, but also (if you use one) which one/brand. I have a 5.7L Suburban and a 3.1L Olds Cutlass Supreme. Any suggestions on which brand would work well with what I have? Cost isn't too much of a factor right now - FYI.

I do agree that different cars either do well or dont do well with these units.. and its likely necessary to run a test to see how well it does in your equipment.

For other stuff, lawnmowers, power steering, transmissions, etc., IMO theyre universally useful.

IIRC, many euro car companies do their dealership oil changes vi the equivalent of a topsider... so for a euro car, all is well. For a suburban, its so easy to roll under, it may not be worth it... for the cutlass, your call.

For the other applications, its well worth it anyway.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by kevindow:
I love my Pela 6000 for oil changes in my '98 VW Passat.
Kevin

I second that, but I don't have a Passat, it works great on our 02 Venture's transmission fluid, 02 Silverado transmission fluid, and all the small lawn equipment oil changes, no more messing with under the deck drain plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back