Which brand 15w40 for my 92 Toy 3.0 4x4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering switching from 10w30 GTX to 15w40 for summer to lower consumption and lessen the engine clatter in my 92 Toy 3.0 V6 4x4 xtra cab. Any feedback is appreciated on suggested brands.

I`m quite partial to the Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 if you really want to use a 15W-40. I used it in my 93 Ford Ranger 4X4 4 liter for about a year, with good results. The vehicle now has 145,000 + miles. However I have recently went to 5W-30 S3000 Amsoil, as I decided I didn`t need a 15W-40. I don`t have any clatter issues though. I don`t notice any engine sound difference after switching. The engine does idle a little higher, and seems a little peppier. It used almost no oil before, and uses almost none now.

I`ve never done a UOA on this truck, and have the kit when I get 7,500 miles.

Either Delvac 1300 15W40 or Delo 400 15W40. Walmart has them both for $5-$6 a gallon. If you can not find them then Pensoil Long Life 15W40 is also good but cost a $7-$8 a gallon at Walmart.

P.S. A valve adjustment with new shims will solve the clatter in 99% of cases.

I have a 1989 Cadillac Brougham with a 5.0 engine with 180,000 miles. The 5.0 is famous for ring problems at this mileage. I tried auto RX and it help a some on the consumption.

I tried Pennz LongLife 15W40, and what a difference. My oil consumption is 50% less, and even better my engine performs so much better.

I'm a Pennz fan but I assume any of the major brands of fleet oil would do it for you.

[ May 06, 2004, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Ironthinker ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ironthinker:

I tried Pennz LongLife 15W40, and what a difference. My oil consumption is 50% less, and even better my engine performs so much better.

Wow! Long-Life reducing consumption.

Never thought that would happen...

Starting to think I might actually know something...
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Back40:
Considering switching from 10w30 GTX to 15w40 for summer to lower consumption and lessen the engine clatter in my 92 Toy 3.0 V6 4x4 xtra cab. Any feedback is appreciated on suggested brands.

BTW, I'd recommend Pennzoil Long-Life.

It's simple...great base oil and great additive package.

...Addition of a good dose of molybdenum to the additive package greatly reduces consumption in many situations (as noted above), even in comparison to other HDEO 15w-40's.

In comparison to the 10w-30 GTX you're currently using, I'd expect you to immediately notice a smoother, quieter running engine.

Over the long-term, you'll have a much cleaner engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back