Which bilstein shock for rear of avalanche?

I see a couple. Truck is 03 avalanche Z71 4wd. I have gabriel ultras now, they are worn. There is a silver bilstein
Bilstein 24-187237

and the yellow blue which came on my truck.

I am installing LT tires this weekend if that will matter as to which shock to choose.

I went with the Bilstein 4600 series in the rear on my Sierra. From the research I did at the time, the 4600 series are the same as the 5100 series except for the color and they are the same length as OEM (not intended for lifted suspensions).

The silver shock, the 5100, is mainly for lifted trucks. LT tires don't matter for this purpose.

The yellow shock, also called Bilstein 4600, is for stock height. The OEM shock is a Bilstein 4600. The Bilstein part number is 24-128933, but it's actually cheaper from ACDelco/GM than it is in the Bilstein box!

The silver shock, the 5100, is mainly for lifted trucks. LT tires don't matter for this purpose.

The yellow shock, also called Bilstein 4600, is for stock height. The OEM shock is a Bilstein 4600. The Bilstein part number is 24-128933, but it's actually cheaper from ACDelco/GM than it is in the Bilstein box!

Thanks i ordered the gm blue and yellow.

I just finished with the yellow/blue on my pickup. I had the front done but now the rear and steering stabilizer are done. Given that they are guaranteed for life why not replace the stock shocks at say 75,000 and enjoy Bilstein shocks from then on. I wonder what the deal is to get Bilstein replacements when you have 200,000 or 300,000 miles on them and they are just worn out? If you need to take them off and send them in and wait for a replacement that could be a PIA.

I just finished with the yellow/blue on my pickup. I had the front done but now the rear and steering stabilizer are done. Given that they are guaranteed for life why not replace the stock shocks at say 75,000 and enjoy Bilstein shocks from then on. I wonder what the deal is to get Bilstein replacements when you have 200,000 or 300,000 miles on them and they are just worn out? If you need to take them off and send them in and wait for a replacement that could be a PIA.
I've always wondered that too. I had Bilstein HD's installed on my 98 chevy K1500 to replace the factory Bilsteins 19 years and about 106,000 miles ago. The HD's have a lifetime warranty as well.

when I bought my 2002 Avalanche Z71 new it had the yellow and blue Bilsteins...

s'funny cuz later I had a 2000 Escalade and a buddy had the same Tahoe...his had factory Bilsteins but were black...when I replaced the OEMs on the Escalade, I had the choice of OEM Bilstein black or Bilstein yellow and blues...went with the yellow and blues as I liked them so much on the Avalanche...was told by Bilstein that the OEM black shocks then were GM spec and the yellow and blue 4600s were the Bilstein spec (and were a touch less money t'boot :D)

good luck with your Avalanche and the Bilstein HDs...excellent shocks in my ownership on these two vehicles...

Bill

I replaced the rear gabriel ultras with the bilsteins. No comparison. Rides so much better. Will be towing next weekend.

Interesting how much larger the bottom bushing is on the bilsteins as compared to the ultras. And the metal bushing is a solid piece.
IMG_20201004_112042338.jpg
IMG_20201004_112036088.jpg

Bilstein B8 5100 shock absorbers are designed as a direct fit solution for lifted trucks and SUV's.

Lifted = silver.
Stock = yellow/blue

I have found the 5100's to be the best.

The ride is very firm but not stiff.

They are adjustable, to get the rake just right too.

Back