Which ATF fluid in a 2000 Mercedes 290 GTD

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAB

I want to change the ATF fluid in my European Model gelendewagon.

It is a MY 2000 and the type is 290 GTD hence its a diesel in line 5 cylinder with an Automatic transmission.

All of the litriture I have is in German and what i can translate says to bring it to Mercedes Service Center and they will fill it with factory replacement Mercedes ATF.

I am not near a Mercedes Service Center and the ones I have talked to have given me conflicting answers.

I am unsure of what the exact spec that the Automatic Transmission calls for.

It does shuddder some times when it wants to down shift and also on occasion it will miss the fourth gear and I have take my foot of the accelerator pedal or manually shift it back into third gear,then accelerate past its shift point and then manually shift it back into "D" and then its OK again .

Please some one chime in with Trasmission spec or with the Mobil One ATF that I should use

Thank You

I'm not at all familiar with type 290 GTD. Can you tell us whether it is a four or five speed automatic? Better yet, if you can tell us what model transmission you have, e.g., 722.5XX. The following site can help you: http://www.peterschmidtransmission.com/

Typically, transmissions from that year use the Mercedes-specific fluid available from the dealer.

Another site that may help you is specific to Mercedes owners: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

If you are interested in M1 ATF try calling Mobil tech. 1-800 ask mobil. Also Amsoil is good. Check with one of the Ams guys here at BITOG.

Last edited:
The G-Class is awesome!
thumbsup2.gif
If it's the 722.6 found in the ML, it calls for 8.5L of 3403-M115 meeting MB236.1 spec. The Mercedes part number is A001-989-21-03-10.

There is reason to believe the less expensive ATF+4 may be used in 722.6 applications. Both the Mercedes SLK and the Chrysler Crossfire share the same powertrain. Yet for some reason they specify different fluids for the exact same transmission.

If ATF+4 works for the Crossfire transmission, why shouldn't it work in the SLK transmission (and other 722.6 transmissions)?

Originally Posted By: Kestas
There is reason to believe the less expensive ATF+4 may be used in 722.6 applications. Both the Mercedes SLK and the Chrysler Crossfire share the same powertrain. Yet for some reason they specify different fluids for the exact same transmission.

If ATF+4 works for the Crossfire transmission, why shouldn't it work in the SLK transmission (and other 722.6 transmissions)?

Sometimes the same transmission has the electronics programmed differently.

Why? All the transmission does is shift. Some even adapt their shifting to the individual driver's style. I don't see how different shift points would require radically different fluids.

Hi

I have a my 2000 mercedes Gwagon turbo diesel with an automatic transmission.

I would like to change the fluid

What should I replace it with

Thanks

Last edited:
thats the snag there is no dealer near here and the owners manualis in german and it says, bring it to an authorized Mercedes service center

Thanks for the links
I will identify the trasmission type and then go from there
again
thanks

Roland

You may have to order the fluid to have it shipped, then find a mechanic to change it for you, unless you're a DIYer.

If the transmission is a 5-speed 722.6, then the MB fluid part number 001-989-45-03-10. This is the new ATF for 7-speed 722.9 and it is backward-compatible with 722.6.

You can also use Chrysler ATF+4 because it uses MB transmission 722.6.

If you do it yourself or have an independent mechanic do it for you, you may need 722.6 transmission dipstick that you can find it on ebay, just search for "722.6 dipstick"

Automatic Transmission,722.6.....SLF[2]
AMSOIL Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

2. ATF 3403-M 115, MB part no. A001 989 21 03 10 or equivalent

There's no listing for the car, naturally ..but that's what all MB offerings appear to require south of the border.

3403 brings up a bunch of universal/multivehicle ATFs that can be used for your planned maintenance.

Its a European model and its a four speed

I checked for ther decal on the side but it fell off

I need to find the etched or stamped # and Identify from there

Thanks for all the help

I accidently double posted this same querry on here can I merge these two threads somehow ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back