Which Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to use Amsoil in my new vette! I do not drive it in the winter, just sspring, summer and fall. Which oil[Ams series 2000-0w-30[ or Ams[10w-30 syn] would offer the most protection and less wear?

As a user of both I vote for the 10W also. For the majority of situations it is the most cost effective. I use it in my twin tubo with 5000 mile intervals and up to 12,000 on others. I also use the 0W for one car I change at a year. Wear numbers similar but the 0W I htink can go longer with a better additive package

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I honestly think the wear will be about the same. I would go with the 10W-30 and pocket the change.

What OIC (oil change interval) are you planning on?

I hate to tell you but I will probably drive only 3000-3600 miles per year so I will change oil annually!
shocked.gif

Since you hardly drive this car, I'd run the Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30 diesel oil,which contains higher levels of rust/corrosion inhibitors. That is typically what is recommended for Mercury Marine inboards, which are the same family of engines. My neighbor runs the Series 3000, 5w-30 in a 37" SeaRay with twin, 454 inboards and it works fine.

I'd test the oil once a year and probably run the same oil for 2-3 years; only changing filters every six months.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Since you hardly drive this car, I'd run the Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30 diesel oil,which contains higher levels of rust/corrosion inhibitors. That is typically what is recommended for Mercury Marine inboards, which are the same family of engines. My neighbor runs the Series 3000, 5w-30 in a 37" SeaRay with twin, 454 inboards and it works fine.

I'd test the oil once a year and probably run the same oil for 2-3 years; only changing filters every six months.

I'm not sure if GM would honor the warranty with this oil.

quote:

Originally posted by yankees1:

quote:

There shouldn't be a difference between this and any other Amsoil product in terms of warranty. It was primarily formulated for diesel engines but was designed as a "fleet" oil and is safe for gas engines as well.

I use their 15W-40 in my passenger car.

quote:

Originally posted by mdv:

quote:

Originally posted by yankees1:

quote:

Since you hardly drive this car, I'd run the Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30 diesel oil,which contains higher levels of rust/corrosion inhibitors. That is typically what is recommended for Mercury Marine inboards, which are the same family of engines. My neighbor runs the Series 3000, 5w-30 in a 37" SeaRay with twin, 454 inboards and it works fine. You have my curiosity up concerning this 3000 series oil! I will start a new post and see what others think! Thanks for the info!

There shouldn't be a difference between this and any other Amsoil product in terms of warranty. It was primarily formulated for diesel engines but was designed as a "fleet" oil and is safe for gas engines as well.

I use their 15W-40 in my passenger car.

Better then S2000? Hmmmm. I thought S2000 was there best according to there lead engineer. There 10w-30 is very good though.

Visc. is 167 vs M1's 145. HT/HS is >3.5 M1?? Pour point is slightly better for Amsoil. Anyone have an opinion on these two for a summer oil? I've only seen comparisons on the 0w/5w's from both companies. Price, M1 4.99, Amsoil looks like they raised it to 5.85.

If your only going to change it once a year, wouldn't it be better to just go with M1? Save a little $$. Amsoil's benefits really are the long drain.(in mileage terms).

[ January 08, 2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

If your only going to change it once a year, wouldn't it be better to just go with M1? Save a little $$. Amsoil's benefits really are the long drain.(in mileage terms).

They have benefits in terms of time as well. Considering that the Series X000 oils have a heavier additive package, they should be able to stand up to short trips over a longer time period as well. Since this car won't be driven in the winter, the extra rust and corrosion inhibitors can be a benefit as well.

True, the extra rust/corosion inhibitors would be a benefit. I guess what I'm getting at is if the Amsoil 10w-30 is really that much better then M1's 10w-30. Is it worth the extra $$? For S2000/3000 it depends on your situation and we know there formulation is top notch. I havn't heard that the 10w-30 was.
This link really pushes the 0w-30 for a performance car, the M3.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/AmsoilStudybyBobM3.php

[ January 08, 2003, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
Didn't we recently see a post on this board (perhaps another topic)) that new M3s were using a 0W or 10W 60 weight????

Yep, the 03 M3s now specify 10w60. I've been told that in Canada the BMW dealers charge $150 for oil changes now!
shocked.gif

Yeah, the 03's get the 60wt. now. Prior years ran 30wts. I think. M3's are amazing cars, but look, you can buy a new Vette for 40-45K, (10k less then a M3) and it will match it in performance in every category. It also comes with M1 and will NOT cost you $150 to have it changed. That is ridiculous! Is this German "Over engineering" we are seeing?
grin.gif

Yankees1, you made a very good choice!

[ January 08, 2003, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by mdv:

quote:

They have benefits in terms of time as well. Considering that the Series X000 oils have a heavier additive package, they should be able to stand up to short trips over a longer time period as well. Since this car won't be driven in the winter, the extra rust and corrosion inhibitors can be a benefit as well.

I did forget to mention that during the winter months when I will not drive the vette, I will uncover it and start it up and let it run for ten minutes once a month. Most of my driving will be in hot summer months. SO, should I go for the Ams 10w-30 which should give me a little more protection in the summer or go with the 3000 series oil[5w-30] which will give better rust protection in the winter but not quite as good protection in the summer?

quote:

Yeah, the 03's get the 60wt. now. Prior years ran 30wts. I think. M3's are amazing cars, but look, you can buy a new Vette for 40-45K, (10k less then a M3) and it will match it in performance in every category. It also comes with M1 and will NOT cost you $150 to have it changed. That is ridiculous! Is this German "Over engineering" we are seeing?
grin.gif

Yankees1, you made a very good choice!

I belive all the E46 M3's specify 10W-60, not just the '03s. Just for clarification, the author of the article you posted has the previous generation of the car.

As to comparing the M3 to a Corvette... Drive both of them on a track somewhere and you'll see the difference. Not saying the Vette is a bad car, but they go about their business in entirely different ways. Which is preferable is kinda like the Amsoil vs. Mobil thing
tongue.gif

BTW, I agree about comparing the 10W-30's. If you're not looking at extending drains, it just comes down to personal preference.

As for starting it in the winter,I would tend to thick the short startups would cause even more moisture to build up in there because it wouldn't stay hot long enough to cook it all out.

[ January 08, 2003, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: JWRENCH ]

quote:

I did forget to mention that during the winter months when I will not drive the vette, I will uncover it and start it up and let it run for ten minutes once a month. Most of my driving will be in hot summer months. SO, should I go for the Ams 10w-30 which should give me a little more protection in the summer or go with the 3000 series oil[5w-30] which will give better rust protection in the winter but not quite as good protection in the summer?

I don't know if I'd do that. Unless the oil is run to operating temperature and stays there for a little bit, you will actually introduce more contaminants into the system. You may be creating more problems than you're solving.

Regarding the two oil's, I would think it's kind of a tossup. Just looking at spec sheets, the 10W-30 offers a slightly thicker film, but I suspect the Series 3000 5W-30 has a much higher film strength and greater resistance to high temperature oxidation due to the higher ester content. Maybe one of the Amsoil reps here can the HT/HS numbers?

[ January 08, 2003, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: mdv ]

I asked exatly the same question to my local Amsoil dealer for my '02 Acura TL.
- "We feel that the main 10W30 oil is better than the 2000 series" was the reply.
... I have 6Lts of Royal Purple left.. then I will consider Amsoil.
J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back