Which Amsoil oils have the API rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need an API rated oil for warranty coverage and I am wondering which Amsoil oils have this rating? Will be using it in a Nissan 350Z 3.5 V6. If Amsoil doesn't have something I will default to Mobil 1 10w30/5w30. Thanks

The XL series, the AME (15W-40), the blend all are API licensed.

What EXACTLY does the Nissan owner's manual say?

It's almost a funny thing at this point because not only do all the oils easily meet the performance requirements, most if not all, are below the XW-30 P add requirements ( less than 1000 PPM) (a BS requirement if I ever saw one)

I thought the XL-7500 series was truly API.

It probably very good stuff, but I never tried it because of the price. I went with ATM because I don't have any warranty considerations.

Just remembered, doesn't the new 2003-4 Nissan manual also have some bs about mineral oil only?

Another member was struggling with this issue.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Just remembered, doesn't the new 2003-4 Nissan manual also have some bs about mineral oil only?

Another member was struggling with this issue.

No problem it just says they don't recommend synthetic it does not say not to use it. Figure they are just affraid of extended drain intervals. Seems like my engine would do well on the Amsoil 0w30 or Mobil 10w30 or GC 0w30. I just want to keep the old warranty intact for the next 60K miles, so I wanted an API oil that Nissan requires. Guess I will go with the Mobil 1 10w30 or the GC 0w30 if I can find it???

Pitbull - not sure if you read my response, because the first reponse to you from another responder is incorrect.

More importantly; exactly what does the manual say?

Now I am couroius about someting. The GC 0W30. Does this product acturlly have an API donut on the back of the bottle. If it does not, then it is not API certified as Pitbull is looking for.

A lot of oils may meet this spec according to the maker, but if it does not have the donut on the back, it is not certified by the API.

I am using SHELL HELIX ULTRA 5W40 in my Audi. On the back it says API SL/CF but it does not have the donut. I dare Audi to challenge my use of this product because it is not certified.

I know for a fact that oils like Amsoil, Lubro Moly, Motul, etc., exceed anything the API can throw at them.

I never thought I would say this, but I am really beginning to dislike anything that has to do with the API.

Anyone know why Ford and GM for example won't also recognize ACEA specs. as valid in the USA? This would take the API question away.

Would not meeting A5/B5 be fine?

I think it's all about $$$. Could you meet this spec and not get SL and Starburst??

I used to get all testy about API stuff. I am glad you guys take a keen look at it and judge it for what it is.

I never push someone to use Amsoil, let alone push someone with waranty concerns. I am always fascinated with the EXACT language in the owner's manuals. As an example and I'm not bashing GM, but their cars range from pretty good (I'd LOVE a Corvette!!) to some of the worst bombs made, yet their warranty statements about oil are quite strong.....you can take these statements in more than one way, but they don't offer that much wiggle room to the informed lube consumer. Then the warranty runs out and you can use a good oil, like Redline.
grin.gif
smile.gif
cool.gif
rolleyes.gif
shocked.gif

[ May 22, 2004, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
Now I am couroius about someting. The GC 0W30. Does this product acturlly have an API donut on the back of the bottle.

Yes, it has the API certified donut, it just doesn't get the starburst, because it's too thick for that (since it's almost a 0w40)

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
Now I am couroius about someting. The GC 0W30. Does this product acturlly have an API donut on the back of the bottle.

Yes, it has the API certified donut, it just doesn't get the starburst, because it's too thick for that (since it's almost a 0w40)

M1 0W-40 has the Starburst. GM seems to drive the starburst thing pretty hard.

Pitbull,

All of the Amsoil gas/diesel oils will easily surpass the API, SL and Ci-4 requirements and any of the standard Sequence tests. Keep in mind these tests are designed so that even the cheapest Walmart brand oil will pass them. If you look at the Amsoil website, you can see how well their 10w-30 performed in a triple length, 240 Hour Sequence IIIF test. It easily met the 80 hour test requirements for wear/deposits and total oil consumption. Most of the Amsoil formulations now meet the much more stringent ACEA, "A3/B3/B4" test requirements, whereas the APL/SL spec is roughly comparable to ACEA, A1/B1.

The Amsoil 5w-30/ASL and 10w-30/ATM are now using less than 1000 ppm of phosphorus in their additive package, which was the ONLY potential issue with their older formulations. Many of my local customers take Amsoil to be installed by new car dealers and it's never been an issue in over twenty years. In fact my local Audi dealer changes the oil in my 2002 Audi TT roadster, as part of their free maintenance program. They simply put a note on the service form which says: "Use customer supplied oil" and that's that.

As long as you don't exceed the maximum oil change interval recommended by Nissan while under warranty, this is a non-issue. In fact, it's a non-issue regardless of what type of new vehicle you purchase.... If you'd like, take an oil sample after 7500 miles and you'll see that Amsoil is still in excellent shape.

If you still don't feel comfortable doing this, you could run the API licensed, Amsoil XL-7500 series oils - either their 5w-30 or 10w-30 would work well here for 7500 mile/6 month drains. However, for a little extra money, I think the regular Amsoil 5w-30 or 10w-30 are significantly better oils ....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

My warranty actually said "API Starburst" only. The doughnut didn't matter anyway. GC is not a Starburst oil.

Not a Nissan by the way. (GM)

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Amsoil makes some of the best oil in the world, I used it in my 95 Landcruiser but at that time the LC was out of warranty and I did not care if something had a donut or not. I just don't trust the car manufactures and I don't want to give them a shot at me incase something happened. I also don't want to be caught between two large corporations fighting about whos fault something is. So until the warranty is up I use a donut bottle
frown.gif
. I figure I'm giving Nissan enough of a shot at me by not using the dealership to do my oil changes, but I will keep good records incase of a warranty problem. Since I'm having the Z done at my friends shop since I don't have ramps to get it up in the air, I need to ask him if he would put down that we put say another oil in the Z on the work order and then I could use the 0w30 Amsoil and still be covered??? What oil would look similar to the 0w30 Amsoil incase they wanted to analize it?? I know this doesn't sound honest but this donut thing is BS and I am using better oil than the dealer ever would!!!

The Amsoil XL 7500 series does have the API licensing. Their 15w-40 does also.

At the moment your choices for the Nissan are the XL-7500 line of product.

As for the starburst symbol, this relates solely to the low viscosity oil and their ability to reduce fuel consumption. Not all oils wear the starburst even in the 0w/5w/10w-30 grades.

The donut is what represents the API certification. If you see the API donut then it has been certified by the API.

FowVay is correct about what the starburst stands for, and you cannot have the starbust with the donut on the back. This is the only thing about Amsoil that bugs me. Their XL-7500 is an approved API oil (donut and starbust) but the rest are not. But they have this fake looking starbust on the front of the bottle. Don't get me wrong, these are great products, just some bad labeling in my opinion.

quote:

It's almost a funny thing at this point...

And I'm sure Pablo & the Amsoil dealers in general grow tired of dealing with the topic.

Here are only some of the 10W-30 API liscensed oils that are available:

Ace Hardware
Benny's,Inc
Casey's General Stores
Do It Best Hardware
Murray's Discount Auto Stores

No product bashing here, just pointing out that this whole ongoing API argument somehow implies that a quart of hardware or convenience store 10W-30 satisfies any & all warranty requirements and the use Amsoil oil immediately voids the manufacturer's obligations.

Blue99: You hit the nail right on top of the head here. This is why I am getting discusted with the API stuff. All those oils you mentioned are naturally made by some other oil company that has had their oil licensed by API. So any container they put their oil in can be licensed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back