Which Amsoil for my applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicles:

2006 Silverado 5.3, driven approx 6-8k per year.

2008 Malibu 2.4, driven approx 15-18k per year.

Up to this point, I've always used the OLM for OCIs. The Silverado goes 5-6k between changes, and the Malibu makes it to about 10K +/-. Both have had a steady diet of PP or M1 since new.

I'm looking at 1 of 2 roads. Using basic XL 5W-30 in each and following the OLMs, or ASL (possibly SSO in the Malibu) in each and bypass the OLM and use 1 year drain intervals. My only problem is the Malibu has limited oil filter choices, so I'm stuck using OEM filters over the course of the OCI.

Thoughts?

Make it easy on yourself, just use ASL for both rigs. Change your oil once a year in the Silverado, and change it twice a year in the Malibu. I'm betting your OEM filter for the Malibu will work just fine at that interval, but if you're worried about it, just change the filter every 3 months.

The problem is that you are still under warranty, therefore you should follow the OLM if you don't want to void it.

In this case, Amsoil is not worth it, you can use any SM brand oil (synblend or syn for better peace of mind if you prefer), they will do the OLM life easily (it designs for them).

That makes you an average of two oil changes per year, with every oil you can find on sale. Not too bad.

if the malibu has a cartridge filter, buy the hengst branded one (saab sells them and they used to be the delco filters too). they can be used in saab engnes to at least 2 years or 18k miles.

It is the same filter as any other ecotec variant uses.

Use the XLS 5W-30 in both.

Or use SSO 0W-30 in both and just reset the OLM/or go 1 year. This will not void the warranty unless the oil itself causes the failure.

Whatever you do, keep the fluid inventory too as few products as practical. The XL line should work for well for you under the OLM.

The XL series is overprived bigtime. Look at the next product and the delta in price is comical. They ARE playing the API cert bigtime. YMMV.

XL is a darn good oil...you just can't find it on BOGO like you can the M1's or PP's at the normal store. Retail price of all oil sucks big time right now and the killer deals are getting thin
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back