Which air filter for my dual cone intakes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like an aftermarket intake for my BMW 335i. I would like to do a dual cone intake setup similar to this picture.

photo-3.jpg

Question is... what filter should i buy? I am looking for very good filtration which prompts me toward AEM dryflow or AFE DryS. What about using PreFilter wraps? The stock air box is no longer sufficient due to doubling the boost pressure from the turbos.

Let me know your thoughts.

Either one is good, personally I prefer AEM Dry-Flow over AFE Pro-Dry. For prefilter, I just used wify's discard pantyhose and change it once a year.

I have an OE style (rectangular) AEM Dry-Flow on my Subaru and it is very high quality. I've only cleaned it once so far but all that was needed was Simple Green, rinse, wave it around vigorously to force excess rinse water out, let dry. Totally love that it doesn't have to be oiled after cleaning. Wait, now that I think, I did use the air compressor to blow remaining rinse water out after the waving it around routine. The media is robust and held in place well-- the air blast did not displace it anywhere. Like new when done.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Stock BMW air filter.

This.

Follow my logic. On a stock engine, if you gain hp due to increased air flow, the air flow can only be increased if the filter is less restrictive. In other words, the "high performance" filters actually filter less.

To get increased performance, you will need head work, exhaust work, etc.

While I have done that in the past to an old MGB, I'm now at the age where I've realized I'm not smarter than a professional design engineer. I stick to factory parts. Want more power? Buy a faster car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
http://www.carid.com/injen-air-intakes/injen-air-filter-375948.html

Injen EA filters; made by Amsoil with built in velocity stack. best cone filter you can buy IMO; most power with the best filtering.

Definitely going to look into these!

Stock BMW air filter.

Can't, not enough flow

Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy
Stock BMW air filter.

This.

Follow my logic. On a stock engine, if you gain hp due to increased air flow, the air flow can only be increased if the filter is less restrictive. In other words, the "high performance" filters actually filter less.

To get increased performance, you will need head work, exhaust work, etc.

While I have done that in the past to an old MGB, I'm now at the age where I've realized I'm not smarter than a professional design engineer. I stick to factory parts. Want more power? Buy a faster car.

I mean, I've doubled the boost from the turbos... And removed the cats, and running different fuel. Roughly 200bhp over the stock power rating.
I've far exceed the flow capabilities of the stock box & filter according to the numorous comparison dyno graphs I have viewed.

I am a product engineer an I've taken these factors. Honestly, I'd run dual paper cone filters if they existed. So I'm looking for an increased surface area to accommodate the shear volume of air I'm adding into the system.

I'm really digging the Nano Fiber stuff. Read a few Donaldson papers. Is anyone familiar with how this media reacts to wetness?

mounted like that you loose Power, why let the Engine bread
hot air?
Get the intake to take air outside of the Engine comparment first!

Originally Posted By: ac_tc
mounted like that you loose Power, why let the Engine bread
hot air?
Get the intake to take air outside of the Engine comparment first!

I will have ram air scoops in the kidneys the will force cool air into the engine compartment. At speed, intake air temps should be a non-issue. However with this setup i risk forcing water and mist in as well. Are the Nanofiber filters ok if they get a little wet? Unlike paper filters

4b7c8af26f0240c0b21f20024505e58b.jpg

Solution, and it seems to be properly engineered. I'm not even a BMW person I just searched a well known tuning house.

A bunch of my buddies have that motor, if I remember correctly it needs an extra oil cooler as well to make the ponies.

My buddy has a 135I convertible with a stick, which puts down around 450. Really one of the most fun cars to drive.

Last edited:
4b7c8af26f0240c0b21f20024505e58b.jpg

Solution, and it seems to be properly engineered. I'm not even a BMW person I just searched a well known tuning house.

A bunch of my buddies have that motor, if I remember correctly it needs an extra oil cooler as well to make the ponies.

My buddy has a 135I convertible with a stick, which puts down around 450. Really one of the most fun cars to drive.

I would love a Dinan intake, but $1000 is not worth it sadly. As a matter of fact a do have a Dinan high capacity oil cooler though
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back