Which additive for best MPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Optimal tire pressure for every vehicle will be different. Lots of variables come into play. The weight of the vehicle will be the biggest factor that affects tread wear at different PSI. ANY tire manufacturer will tell you to run the VEHICLE manufacturer's recommended pressure if you're running the stock sizes.

For instance, I run a 10 ply (Load Range E) on my Silverado 1500. The sidewall has 80 PSI max pressure. The door jam decal says 35 PSI. I've run them at 35, 40, 50 and 60 PSI. My mpg's did not change whatsoever with different inflations...but I get the most even tire wear and best ride at 40 PSI, so that's where I run them. I imagine running them less than 35 would begin to have some roll resistance...and build excess heat.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Its a long shot..but one or more of your calipers could be hanging..
Fresh idea. Very good
smile.gif

@OP
Additives can make a big difference for MPG, IF your injectors are not ok (mud). Buy 1 bottle Redline SI-1 and put 4x ~1/4 in each full tank.

Tire pressure… Go ~1.5psi above the optimum than your CAR manufacturer says, thats optimal for your load.

Return again, if done
smile.gif

Last edited:
Maybe your O2 sensor is bad and making your car run super rich?

I had the automotive class at my career school look over my car last night, the brakes are fine and not sticking, they took my tires up to 32 psi each, front right was actually low sitting at 25.

Sensors are all good, they plugged in an OBD-2 scantool and monitored the values and it was all in the appropriate range they said.

At home and found a bottle of MMO hiding in my garage. I got gas last night because I only had 30 miles range left. Before pumping I put in 4 oz of MMO and driving home I took the "scenic route" to get it into the fuel system, and driving to school this morning my average MPG said 22.5. As far as I am aware I have not changed my driving style so it seems like the MMO is working.

I will keep my eye on it and see if it goes up/down anymore and after I'm out of MMO I'll try the TC-W3 and use it to compare to MMO.

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
I had the automotive class at my career school look over my car last night, the brakes are fine and not sticking, they took my tires up to 32 psi each, front right was actually low sitting at 25.

Sensors are all good, they plugged in an OBD-2 scantool and monitored the values and it was all in the appropriate range they said.

At home and found a bottle of MMO hiding in my garage. I got gas last night because I only had 30 miles range left. Before pumping I put in 4 oz of MMO and driving home I took the "scenic route" to get it into the fuel system, and driving to school this morning my average MPG said 22.5. As far as I am aware I have not changed my driving style so it seems like the MMO is working.

I will keep my eye on it and see if it goes up/down anymore and after I'm out of MMO I'll try the TC-W3 and use it to compare to MMO.

Whatever helps you to sleep better at night.

Well first off it is impossible to measure a fuel economy change in real-life driving and then attribute it to one isolated variable. There are far too many variables involved even if you think everything is the same, it is not. An article I linked a long time ago showed that the energy density in gasoline even at the same station varied about 4%. So to eliminate that first variable you have to use standardized test fuel in any measurements. A 4% variation is quite a lot and generally makes any change you see fall into the noise. There is a tremendous amount of noise in everyday driving, yes it is possible to notice a fuel economy change but it is impossible to attribute it to one isolated variable unless it is so massive to overcome all the rest.

As everyone in this thread has pointed out there is no miracle in a bottle for increasing fuel economy. Whether you chose to understand that is up to you.

Yeah you're right, and I have always been one to jump to conclusions too quick and I admit that.

I will keep an eye on all the other variables and give plenty of time, eg. months to get good data to work with. I actually really want to see how much real improvement, if any, I get in the long run.

Last edited:
The thing is that months don't help either. By then the weather has changed in Ohio, including the average temperature, air pressure, rainfall or snow. So have the driving habits of the local population including schools being open or closed, or even the variation introduced by daylight savings time. Road construction is a huge variable between seasons as well.

Again it is one thing to measure something but the much harder thing to do is properly attribute it to an isolated variable. It takes a laboratory to do that along with standardized, repeatable tests that yield statistically valid results. Those tests exist, I wonder why none of the additive companies publish the results from those tests but instead rely on "real world" driving and "up to" statements in their testimonials?

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
Allthough my dad use it (and I run my own experiments), I do not generic recommendations for 2T in Otto engines.

Dampened combustion does not mean, its better combustion. Not in diesel and not in otto engines.
Also less MPG, does not mean, its better combustion.
Unfortunately this is the case: If you self realize (hear, feel, MPG) anything on combustion, it was to much 2T.

Never, for example, you'll have better MPG without less power. Best, but not only, observable on tuned ECUs. Lowest amounts and you can directly see (ECU soft) changes in the combustion.

With 2T in not-2T engines, gasoline is not improved. Its contaminated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back