Which 5W-20.... Castrol Edge or Pennzoil Platinum For Chrysler MS-6395 Spec ??

I've been running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 in my 5.7 Jeep HEMI V-8 since I bought it new in 2015. Mostly because back then there weren't too many oils that met the Chrysler MS-6395 spec. Now there are several. Because of the supply chain shortage the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum can be hard to find at times.

I noticed today that my Wal-Mart has Castrol Edge Full Synthetic in 5W-20, and it also meets the MS-6395 Chrysler spec. So I was thinking of switching to it. Are any of you guys running this stuff? And what do you think of it?

I don't get the whole "Made From Natural Gas" deal that Pennzoil advertises. But it sure sounds good. I'm wondering how it measures up to the Castrol Edge, which say's, "20,000 miles between oil changes guaranteed"..... Guaranteed what? What say you?

Why not use Mobil 1? They completed their testing and MS-6395 is now officially listed on their spec sheet:

I don't get the whole "Made From Natural Gas" deal that Pennzoil advertises. But it sure sounds good.
There has been some recent conversation (in the Euro Tech groups) that Pennzoil's GTL based products had film strength issues that were causing rapid engine wear on some recent BMW engines. The issue was very prevalent during cold starts. It is supposedly one of the main reasons BMW ended the Pennzoil relationship and went back to Castrol.

QSUD is another that meets the spec. Not a bad choice to be made. I ended up with a lot of 5w-30 Mobil 1 and that's what I put in my Hemi the last change since I'm out of warranty. I ran QSUD 5w-20 prior with no consumption or other issues.

You can take The Critic to the bank: go with Castrol or Mobil 1.
Both great oils.
By no means am I vouching for the validity or accuracy of that info, but I thought it was interesting. Plus the Pennzoil/BMW relationship seemed unusually short-lived, and there has been a massive surge in rod bearing issues over the last few years on their N20/N55 engines. So I wonder if there is something to that "rumor."

Stellantis MS-6395 is not a very stringent spec. This and Ford's specs seemingly are just their way of saying "use the most current API-rated oil".

Most API SP "conventionals" and synthetic blends (such as Mobil Super) will meet these specs, but I haven't seen a blend meet GM's Dexos 1 Gen 2.

Between Castrol Edge and Pennzoil platinum in 5w-20, I would take whichever is cheaper, both are D1G2 licensed.

If an oil jug or filter box says "up to 20,000 miles or 1 year", there will always be fine print that says "but don't exceed the interval in your owner's manual if you're under warranty".

Didn’t mean to put you on the spot Critic, sorry. I have to admit I was suspicious / curious when BMW switched up on their oil suppliers - they’d been with Castrol for a very long time and just like that, the switch to Pennzoil. Didn’t make sense: BMW‘s tend to get driven harder than most ( I know mine did) and Castrol held the line pretty well I thought. Never bought in to that natural gas line pennzoil was pushing….

Stellantis MS-6395 is not a very stringent spec. This and Ford's specs seemingly are just their way of saying "use the most current API-rated oil".

Most API SP "conventionals" and synthetic blends (such as Mobil Super) will meet these specs, but I haven't seen a blend meet GM's Dexos 1 Gen 2.

Between Castrol Edge and Pennzoil platinum in 5w-20, I would take whichever is cheaper, both are D1G2 licensed.

If an oil jug or filter box says "up to 20,000 miles or 1 year", there will always be fine print that says "but don't exceed the interval in your owner's manual if you're under warranty".
No, the Ford WSS and Stellantis MS specs aren't overly stringent, but they do have some limit changes on some of the API testing protocols, making them slightly more difficult, at least in the case of Ford. I believe the Stellantis spec also includes a fleet test.

Castrol is on sale at WM for $22.XX and Valvoline has a good $5 rebate and is also priced the same, so $17.XX when its all said and done.
I grabbed a few for future use. We've been running Castrol in the Stinger, which has been fine.

By no means am I vouching for the validity or accuracy of that info, but I thought it was interesting. Plus the Pennzoil/BMW relationship seemed unusually short-lived, and there has been a massive surge in rod bearing issues over the last few years on their N20/N55 engines. So I wonder if there is something to that "rumor."
Film strength issues? When used as gear oil or what?

I've been running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 in my 5.7 Jeep HEMI V-8 since I bought it new in 2015. Mostly because back then there weren't too many oils that met the Chrysler MS-6395 spec. Now there are several. Because of the supply chain shortage the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum can be hard to find at times.

I noticed today that my Wal-Mart has Castrol Edge Full Synthetic in 5W-20, and it also meets the MS-6395 Chrysler spec. So I was thinking of switching to it. Are any of you guys running this stuff? And what do you think of it?

I don't get the whole "Made From Natural Gas" deal that Pennzoil advertises. But it sure sounds good. I'm wondering how it measures up to the Castrol Edge, which say's, "20,000 miles between oil changes guaranteed"..... Guaranteed what? What say you?

I have run Edge 5w-30 in both my Hemis, and they liked it just fine. One of them (the 2014) is still running it actually, still from the last oil change almost a year ago. It doesn't get driven nearly as much as the other, so I can utilize the extended drain intervals the fancy synthetics provide.

The 2012 is currently running some QSUD 5w-30 I caught on sale, but it's about to get changed to whatever I have in the stash (some Valvoline MaxLife 5w-30 and Castrol Magnatec 10w-30 IIRC), so it's been a while since it had an OCI of the Edge. But it liked it just fine back when it got its day in court. Run it in yours with confidence!

Havoline Pro DS Lifelong Full Synthetic is MS-6395 according to the PDS on the Chevron Site.

6 Qt Box is $19.65 at Walmart. It's not a 20,000 mi oil but if you are only going 10,000 mi it should be fine.

Back